Chapter 14

Aden

"SO SHE makes roses," Father stated. "Is that all she can do?" I leaned back in my seat as Marcus made his reports about his training with Kiara.

"Like I said before, she held an unbloomed daisy in her hands, and then it transformed into a rose. If I had seen anything different, it would've been reported."

Father rubbed his chin, which had begun to stubble. "I'll have to ask Rebecca later." He sighed. "I don't understand how she came to be closer to plants instead of fire."

"That's not up for any one of us to decide, Father." I sat up in my chair. "Twins don't share everything." Marcus dismissed himself, leaving before things got loud.

"But wouldn't you think they'd at least share the same affinity?"

I know it's a rhetorical question, but I answer him anyway, "She still could have the gift of fire, she just doesn't know it."

He ran a hand through his ruffled hair and sighed, having nothing else to say.

"Father, patience. She's barely been here for a week. Give her some time."

"Yes, son, I know." He sighed again, "I just don't exactly know what to do anymore."

I stood up and patted him on the back, "So what day will her coronation be?" His eyes widened at the thought. "I'm guessing you forgot?"

"So much has been going on that I completely forgot that Kiara was the eldest. She does need to be crowned." His hair was ruffled from the hands that had run through it.

"How about on our birthday?" The idea just popped into my head. "It's weeks away, so that should give us enough time to prepare."

Father smiled brightly, "That could work." He patted me on the shoulder, and left the room.

~~~

I intercepted Kiara again on her way to Rebecca. When she noticed me approaching, she slowed down to let me catch up. I saw that as a sign.

"On your way to Rebecca's?" I asked, thinking of nothing to say. Of course she was on her way to Rebecca, this hallway didn't lead anywhere else.

Besides stating the obvious, she replied with, "Can you come with me today?" I stumbled over my feet, and almost tripped.

"What-"

"It's only for today. Besides, you don't have to come any way." For a wanted thief, she was quite giddy. "I-I-I just wanted to show you something." I'm guessing that "something" was the rose trick, but I didn't say anything.

She stared to say something more, but I interrupted, "Kiara, it's fine. I was planning on coming anyway." At that, she nodded, and led the way to the classroom.