Hearts on Fire Tonight

Start from the beginning

Mike's hands were clenched into fists. He gritted his teeth, and his eyes had the same fire they did when he confronted Casey on the night I was taken.

"I won't say anything! I swear to-" I began to say. Chris drew his hand back and slapped me as hard as he could. I tasted blood.

"Shut up, lanky bitch." He hissed at me. Mike lost it and lunged for him.

"Don't you dare touch her! Don't you fucking dare!" He snarled as Tony held him back by his arms. Mike fought against him, but Tony fought back just as hard.

Chris backed out of the house slowly. Something inside of my head told me that everything was about to change.

•••••

"Wakey, wakey, ugly cunt."

I opened my eyes lazily, and saw a figure standing over me. I couldn't see his face, but I recognized the voice as Chris'. I was about to scream, but his hand shot over my mouth. I saw the glint of the blade of a knife. "Don't be stupid, kid." He sneered in my ear. I nodded rapidly and he drew his hand back.

Chris' hand closed around my wrist and yanked me out of the bed. The guys had decided to let me sleep alone because I was leaving soon. I wished they hadn't.

He dragged me into a separate room, one I hadn't been in before. I was thrown through the door frame and onto the ground. Chris stood menacingly over me. He drew back his foot and began kicking me in the stomach. I fought every urge to cry out in pain.

Chris never said a word. He just kept kicking me over and over again. After he finally stopped, he reached into his pocket and pulled out a matchbox. Terror bloomed in my stomach.

He struck a few matches against the box, the flame the only source of light in the room other than dim moonlight streaming through the window. He stepped back through the doorway and drew a key out of his pocket with his free hand.

Chris' lips drew back into a terrifying smile, illuminated by the small flame from the match. "Bye Bethany." He whispered before throwing the matches to the carpet. The flame immediately spread, smoke already flooding my nostrils. Chris slammed the door shut and locked it from the outside. I heard his feet running as the smoke alarm began to sound.

Faint shouting began to move through the house as everyone realized what was going on. I struggled to get to the door to bang on it, but flames blocked my path. The blaze spread, and soon the room was bathed in the glow of the burning embers.

Someone began pounding on the door. "Bethany! We're gonna get you out of there! Hang in there!" Tony screamed, sounding just as panicked as I felt.

"Tony!" I tried screaming. Smoke flooded through my open mouth and choked me like a claw. I coughed loudly, feeling the heat beginning to grow. I began hyperventilating, breathing in the smoke. I knew I should've been trying to breathe sparingly, but my body was on auto pilot.

The fire was drawing closer and closer. I ran, or tried to run, in the opposite direction. I looked out the window and saw my last option; the roof. There was a ladder on the wood balcony that led up to the roof. I planned to climb it, and get up to the top before the fire burned the balcony completely.

I looked around for something to smash the window. My eyes landed on a crack in the glass. I remembered Vic telling me a story of how Jaime cracked one of the windows and Chris' mother got super pissed. I silently thanked him for doing it.

I slammed my elbow into the pane and the crack grew bigger. I felt a hot sensation on my heels. I looked down, and saw the flames creeping towards my feet. I used all my strength and hit the window once more, the glass shattering. I pushed on the broken glass and cleared it. I pulled myself through the window pain, my bare arms scraping the jagged pieces that hadn't quite come out.

My feet landed on the wood of the balcony. I knew I didn't have much time to act. I quickly scaled the ladder and pulled myself onto the roof of the house. My lungs were full of ash and smoke, which was quickly pouring out of the house. I was surrounded by a thick, black cloud.

"Vic!" I heard Jaime scream. "I see her! She's on the roof!"

"Bethany!" Vic yelled. "Jump! I'll catch you!"

I shook my head, though I wasn't sure if he could see it. "No!" I yelled down, my voice was raspy and broken. My throat felt like it was coated in sand. I coughed and sputtered. "I don't know where you are! I can't see you!"

"But I can see you!" He yelled back. "Just walk forward and jump! I promise, I won't let you fall!"

I staggered forward, the fear in my stomach consuming my entire being. I looked down at myself and realized that I was covered in soot and minor burns- burns that I hadn't even felt. I continued walking to the edge of the roof. I took a deep breath- a bad idea. Smoke burned in my lungs.

I closed my eyes and stepped off of the roof. The wind rushed through me, and I began to wonder if this is what dying felt like. The cool air rushed through my body, giving me an overwhelming and indescribable peace.

I fell freely for a few seconds, expecting an impact. But it never came. Instead, I landed in the strong arms of Vic Fuentes. He'd saved my life again.

"I got her!" He yelled. He pulled one of my eyes open, and stared into it. "Can you hear me?" I grunted a "yes."

The last thing I remember is Jaime yelling into a phone and Vic singing softly in my ear.

Chapter Song: A Love Like War by All Time Low and Vic Fuentes