Chapter 8: Decisions

Claire Stark's POV

I was sitting on a couch in Tony's lab in Malibu, working on my Calculus homework. Tony was out for some award ceremony. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion at the problem in front of me. I had checked my work and got a different answer.

"You forgot to carry the one, Miss Stark." JARVIS's voice came in from the speakers. I checked my work. He was right.

"Thanks, JARVIS, and don't call me 'Miss Stark'." I told him. I could practically hear the frustration in his voice.

"That is your name, Miss Stark." He told me. I sighed.

"Tony Stark is not my father." I told him.

A little over 3 months later

I stood next to Pepper as we awaited Tony to arrive at the airport. He had just been kidnapped and held hostage for three months. I squinted in the harsh sunlight as he walked off of the plane. Tony looked at the two of us. He looked pretty bad as I walked forward.

He looked almost nervous about what I was going to do as I approached him. I wrapped my arms around him in a hug. He wrapped his good arm around my back and I buried my head in his chest.

"I missed you, Dad." I muttered.

Present

I woke up from the dream with a gasp. My heart was racing per usual after a memory dream. Pietro lay in bed beside me, still asleep and snoring. I climbed out of bed, feeling sick. I grabbed my phone and entered the bathroom.

I looked up into the mirror to see my eyes glowing blue, and my hair as white as snow. Ice formed around my hands which were supporting me on the counter of the sink. I breathed out frosty air and gazed into the mirror. My body turned into flakes of falling snow. I shook my head and turned back to normal.

I picked up my phone and opened it to recent contacts. I scrolled past Steve's name, hovered on T'Challa's, and finally clicked on Dad's. He picked up after two rings.

"Snowflake, is everything okay?" Dad asked me sleepily. I looked into the mirror and tried to turn off my powers. No luck.

"It's happening again." I told him. Dad sighed.

"Just calm down. Think happy thoughts. Like that time when you helped me figure out the colors for the Mark 3 suit. Or when you came back home from Wakanda." He told me. I focused my mind, and my eyes stopped glowing. My hair turned back to blond.

"Thanks, Pops." I told him.

"It's only going to get worse as long as you don't use your powers." He reminded me. I glanced through the doorway at Pietro's sleeping form.

"I know." I muttered softly. "I don't know how to tell him."

"Look, Princess." Dad told me. "You need to decide what's best for you." He said. I sighed at smiled softly at Pietro.

"Have a jet here to pick me up in three hours." I said.

Almost 3 hours later

I tried to stay focused as I finished packing up my stuff. Pietro was still asleep on the bed, and I didn't want to wake him up. As I looked at him, I accidentally knocked over a picture frame of the two of us. It landed on the floor with a thud, and the glass shattered. Ironic.

The noise had woken Pietro up. He yawned and blinked sleepily before glancing around the room. He noticed my suitcase.

"Are we going somewhere?" He asked me. I looked at him sadly, but he just looked back at me, confused.

"Not we, Pietro." I said, my voice breaking. He looked at me with a confused stare.

"I don't understand." He told me. I tried to find the words to explain, and his eyes widened in realization. "You're leaving me."

"I'm sor-" I started an apology, but he cut me off.

"Why?" He muttered. I looked at the ground in shame. "Why, Claire?"

"I thought that I could keep my promise to you." I started. He shook his head at me disbelievingly. "I'm so sorry-" He cut me off again.

"You're going back to New York." He said. I tried to meet his eyes but couldn't lift my gaze high enough. "So that's it. You're just going to give up on us?"

"I wish I didn't have to-" I started again before another interruption.

"You don't have to do this. You don't have to leave." He said. I shook my head sadly at him. "You can stay here. With me." He said quietly, looking into my eyes hopefully.

I shook my head again before grabbing my bag. "I'm so sorry." I felt my body turn to snow as I disappeared from the apartment.

I reformed at the base of the private jet that would take me back to New York. Happy stood there, waiting for me. I gulped and glanced back in the direction of the apartment building.

"Let's go." I muttered before climbing onto the plane.

Pietro Maximoff's POV

I sat in our bed, looking at the spot where Claire had previously been. I didn't even know she could teleport. What else had she kept from me? I looked over at the bedside table to see the bracelet I had given to Claire 9 years ago.

 What else had she kept from me? I looked over at the bedside table to see the bracelet I had given to Claire 9 years ago

I picked it up and held it in my hands. I looked at it sadly and realized that I was crying. I put down the bracelet and brushed away my tears. I picked up my phone and called Wanda.

"Hello?" She asked into the phone.

"Can I stay with you?" I asked her.

"Of course." She replied. I instantaneously packed all of my stuff. "What about-" I cut her off.

"I'll explain later." I said before running off to Scotland.

One Month Later

Claire Stark's POV

I stood in my room in Stark Tower. We were about to move everything upstate in two weeks. Dad was working on a stabilizing serum for me to help control my unreliable powers. He had been trying to figure it out for 9 years now, and he was finally getting somewhere due to the left over notes of Bruce Banner.

The turning into snow was a result of power underuse, but me not using my powers for nearly a month after daily use for 4 years had left me unable to keep my form stable. Every now and again, I would turn into the snow state, and it was slowly killing me.

Dad had no idea how to cure the unstable consequences of my powers, but his serum should help me control it. This might save my life, but I could never live normally. I knew that now. My powers would always need to be used, so I might as well use them to help people.

Being an Avenger was my life, and I couldn't give it up.