Then the young man tilted his neck slightly, avoiding her lips.

She was heartbroken and struggled to break free of his hold, feeling angry and ashamed. However, soon she realized that no matter what she did, the pair of arms locked her body in place. She could only bow her head in the end, hiding her eyes that were getting moist.

["... am not worthy."] The youthful voice sighed from above. She lifted her head, and saw that he frowned deeply, his hold around her back tightening. She could even feel his body trembling.

Then he lowered his head slightly, and kissed the corner of her eyes.

Only then, she realized that she was actually crying.

Nevertheless, she could not help but to feel exasperated. That man kissed her tears, her cheeks, her every inch of her face, except her lips.

["I don't want to not be able to stop. If I followed my heart's desire right now, I would not be able to stop."]

She did not understand why that was a problem. She must have pouted, because he laughed at her as his fingers caressed her face. His youthful voice was a melody,

["Wait for me, Ji YuLan. I will become someone worthy of you. If you still want me then, I will never leave your side."]

She smiled then, ["Zuo ZhouLei."]

"Ji SongLi."

["If you are not worthy, no one else is."]

"But I will wait. Of course I will wait. If that is what you want. As long as you will come to me, again, I will wait. Your promise, my promise, shall withstand the barrier of time."

----------

YuLan guessed that was the reason why her face was flushed like an overripe peach. The sensation of having been touched by those fluttery kisses still lingered even now, her cheeks felt feverish.

"Miss Ji."

YuLan was immediately pulled out of her daze and whipped her head around. She had removed her veiled hat and was about to put it back on again, feeling bewildered that someone had managed to get close to her.

At this outermost peak, sans herself and Cao Lu, there should not be another cultivator with an Enlightened rank. She should have been able to sense the presence of another lesser-ranked practitioner.

YuLan immediately relaxed her stance as she finally could see the person who had called her.

Princess Zuo Shan'er.

If she recalled, the Princess was one that did not have any cultivation root at all, which explained YuLan's inability to sense her qi. Though it was still baffling for her that the Princess managed to sneak up really close.

Zuo Shan'er walked briskly towards her, her silk dress swaying. Even the way she walked was graceful, befitting of royalty. Despite being young, the Princess was no doubt a beauty.

"Miss Ji YuLan. I am here to say proper farewell as we did not have any time to be properly acquainted with each other previously."

Zuo Shan'er's smile was amiable and polite. However, for some reason, YuLan felt slight chill in the air. The Princess' smile did not reach her eyes, though YuLan could more or less figure the reason why.

She groaned inwardly. In the past lifetime and in this lifetime, why did her rival in love have to confront her directly?

However, Zuo Shan'er kept looking at her, her smile not faltering in the least. They were standing face to face, YuLan could almost smell the faintest floral fragrance off the latter. Perhaps it was the fragrance the Princess was wearing, or that YuLan was actually biased against this love rival, but she thought the fragrance smelled slightly rotten.