prologue

I was seventeen. I went to a high school in Syndey, Australia. I hated it. I hated the school. It was the end of the summer holiday. The last evening before it begins, again. I had just one friend there. His name was Calum, Calum Hood. He was the same age as I and we were classmates. I could say I was an outsider. Calum wasn't. He has a lot of friends. But when I needed him, he was always here for me. We were best friends. 

I spent with Cal the last day of holiday. We were getting tan on the beach, preparing ourselves for school (I mean buying notebooks and stuff) and just talking, talking and talking about like everything, as we usually were. 

"What about Monica, huh?," I asked him. Monica was Cal's "kind of" girlfriend.

"What 'bout her?," he murmured.

"What? I mean... Are you like together, or not?"

"Not yet."

"Why not? I thought you like her. And she obviously likes you," I grimmed.

"Well, I'm not sure about that. I mean... yeah, it really looks she's into me. But..."

"What?," I asked.

"I don't think it would work. She's different than me."

"Whatever. Solve it yourself. I don't know many things about your relationship," I rolled my eyes.

"God, Anna. How many times am I supposed to tell you that we aren't in a relationship? We are not together, okay?" He was upset, it was obvious.

"Fine, Cal. What's wrong with you? Sorry about that, yeah?"

"Sorry, An," he apologized and hugged me immediately.

"It's okay. All good," I hugged him back, because you know, why not, right?

"I don't wanna be with anyone else but you in school," he murmured.

"I'm glad for that. I don't wanna be alone either. Okay, the difference is, that you wouldn't be alone, because of those crowds around you all the time," I smirked.

"Oh c'mon. You know that the only person I really appreciate is you."

"Yeah, I do." I gave him a smile.

"Good."

Then we just sat there, my head on his shoulder, hand in hand. I was so glad I had Calum. I don't know what woul'd I do without this dork. 

Next day, in the morning, I was in rush. Cal left about 10PM and I just fell asleep. My alarm rang just so late. Oh my God. I put on my black skinny jeans and a basic grey tee and of course my all black converse shoes. I quickly brushed my hair and went to school, 'cause the school was just about two minutes far from my house. 

I was trying to get to my locker. It was difficult, though. Loads of people were trying to do the same thing as I was. But I was also trying to be invisible. Overlooked, at least. And then I accidentally bumped into someone.

"Watch out, clumsy!," I heard the voice. I looked at that guy. I haven't seen him before. His hair was dyied lilac and he had his eye brow pierced. He could be my age.

"Sorry 'bout that," I mumbled quietly. The boy just rolled his eyes and dissapeared in the crowd. Then I just shook my head and went to find my locker, finally.

"Here you are," I heard that familiar voice. 

"Hi, Cal," I smiled at him. 

"Good mood, huh?"

"Not really, though."

"No? Just the basic school stuff, or...?," he was curious.

"You know. The first day, the first five minutes and I had to bump into someone."

"Oh, what a clumsy," he sayed like for appearance's sake.

"The boy said almost the same thing."

"Boy, then?"

"Yeah. His hair is purple."

"Purple? Do we know him?"

"No. I saw him the first time."

"Maybe a new kid."

"It's possible."

"Let's go to the classroom, c'mon."

So we went to the classroom. And be surprised, or not, the boy was sitting there. In the back row, just next to the window.