One Plus One Equals Three

Seventeen days had passed since Edward and Bella's royal wedding; it was August 31st.

Mel and Seth were happily going out. She had officially started online classes at Peninsula College, and she even got a part-time job at the local bakery to further explore one of her passions.

It was almost too calm for a life with vampires and wolf shifters. Bella and Edward were supposed to be on Isle Esme for another week, but the world had other plans to add a sprinkle of drama.

A new chapter of chaos began with a phone call that interrupted Mel's pre-date bonding time with Rose.

"Hello?" Rosalie balanced her cellphone between her shoulder and chin as she focused on braiding a ribbon through Mel's hair in swift movements. She had a date with Seth in an hour. "What's going on?"

"Ow!" Mel exclaimed at the sudden sharp pain at the back of her head. Rosalie had tugged at a strand too roughly when she reacted to whomever was on the other end of the phone. "Rose!" she complained.

"This isn't a sick joke, is it, Bella?" The blonde dropped her hands from Mel's dark hair and turned away. "I won't let anything happen, I swear it. I will be waiting for you to return home. If he even tries to touch you--" Her voice was a hiss.

Bella must have interrupted, because Rosalie sighed impatiently. "I know. Just keep yourself safe." Rose hung up the phone and chucked it onto her plush sofa.

"Uhm, do I want to know?" Mel asked cautiously.

"Melaina." Rosalie looked at her sister with the most sincere, intense gaze in her topaz eyes. "When the family divides, and we will, I am going to need you on my side."

Mel didn't like what that implied. "What do you mean? What happened to Bella?"

"She's pregnant."

Mel gasped in half surprise, half horror. "Did Edward seriously not pay attention in health class?" She slapped her own head at his stupidity.

~*~

By the time Seth had returned Mel home after the movies in Port Angeles, the entire Cullen family knew about Bella being pregnant with Edward's child.

Alice could no longer see Bella's future; she wanted whatever was in her best friend to be taken out. Carlisle worried for Bella's health; he didn't know what was quickly growing inside of her. Rosalie was anxiously waiting for Bella to return so that she could protect her and the baby.

When Bella and Edward walked into the Cullen mansion, Bella looked worn and upset. Edward looked stricken and angry. Their moods were completely opposite from the happy newlyweds that left Forks weeks ago.

Surprising everyone but Rosalie and Melaina, Bella ran straight across the living room and into Rose's arms. She knew that her blonde sister-in-law would allow no harm to come to the baby.

The husband and wife duo had only been on Isle Esme for a little over two weeks. Bella's lower stomach was already showing a baby bump.

Edward was adamant that the "demon spawn" be removed from his wife. He insisted. Yelled. Pleaded. Bella was also firm in her decision.

"It is a baby. Your baby, Edward. Bella's already showing, which means he or she is beyond a fetus at this point. You can't turn your back on your child now."

"Melaina, shut up," Edward snarled. "This is not your decision to make." His tone and gaze were as hard and cold as ice.

For once, Alice didn't intervene to scold Edward. Their pixie sister was rocking on her heels with her head in her hands, mumbling to herself and trying to make sense of the future.

"You're right," Mel agreed with Edward. She didn't take his harsh tone to heart for once. "It's Bella's decision. Mother's choice and all."

Edward slammed his hand against the intricate stair railing and it splintered upon contact. He breathed in harshly and then turned to storm out of the room.

Bella watched with sad eyes as she caressed her baby bump. As her belly and the baby grew bigger, bruises formed across her pale skin. Her human body was struggling to support the sudden creature living inside of her.

Rose tucked a blanket around their pregnant sister-in-law. Mel put a movie into the DVD player as a distraction from the tense mood. She and Rosalie sat by Bella on the end of the couch.

"We're here for you, Bella. Every step of the way," Mel promised her. Bella smiled in thanks, but it didn't reach her eyes.

"This is why you're my favorite sister," Rosalie whispered into Mel's dark hair as the girl cuddled into her side. "The baby is more than a fetus and deserves a chance at life."

~*~

Bella's secret put a strain on Melania's relationship with Seth. For the safety of her family, the pack couldn't know that Edward had accidentally created a creature that they weren't sure if they could control.

Plus, Bella's plan was to be bitten after she gave birth to what she assumed was little EJ. Edward would be forced to break the established treaty with the Quileute people, and the Cullen family would have to abandon the mansion in Forks to relocate in another state.

Mel tried not to think too much into it because the whole situation made her anxious. If the family had to flee with a newborn Bella, what would happen to her and Seth?

Would she stay? Would he follow?

Her phone went off again. She bit at her nails as she let Seth go to voicemail. Avoiding him was better than lying, but she knew that she would have to say something soon or he would come over, so she texted him an excuse as to why she couldn't pick up the phone. She felt terrible about it.

Wishing to hear his voice, Mel went to her room and played his CD for the hundredth time. She cuddled a pillow against her chest and let the sound of Seth singing wrap around her like a comforting embrace that she so desperately needed.

His soothing voice eventually lulled Mel to sleep.