Chapter 4

I started feeling like this was hopeless. Then I thought about him and squared my shoulders. I looked at the ring on my finger and started walking around.
      When we came to the market and shopping area, I had a feeling that Parker was around. Feeling a surge of hope, I started praying and looked even harder. Finally, I spied a person that looked a lot like him. I squinted my eyes and looked closer. It was him! "Parker!" I shouted. He looked at me, hid something in his pocket, and started running towards me. Not realizing it, I had stepped right in front of a speeding car!
      I stared at it as it came closer, frozen to the spot. Parker grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the street, just in time. The car flashed by with the driver shouting and shaking his fist at me. Parker didn't stop. He ran into a shed that he knew was close by, still holding my hand, and closed the doors. He leaned again them for a minute, breathing hard, and let go. I looked around while he caught his breath.
      There was straw all over the place and the building smelled musty. It looked almost like a barn.
      When I turned around, Parker had gotten his breath and was staring at me. "Why did you come here?" he asked me. "I had to come find you. Look," I showed him I was wearing the ring. He smiled for a minute, but then started frowning again. "What's wrong?" I asked him, concerned. "Well... my father is making me steal again," he answered. His blue eyes held a sad look. I bit my lip, looked at him, and gently grabbed his hand. "Parker... you don't have to be afraid to tell me that. Remember what I said weeks ago? I love you for who you are. Not what you are." He smiled at me when he realized I had said love. "I love you too," he said softly, squeezing my hand. My mind quit working after I heard that.
      He then opened the doors and we headed outside. During that time, I had lost Annika and Ezra. As I followed Parker, I soon forgot about them. He held my hand once more as we walked through the crowd. Finally, we arrived at an apartment building. At the the door we stopped. "Why are we stopping here?" I asked, looking up at the building. "This is where I live with my dad," he answered as we started walking up the steps.
      When we got to the door, I stood bravely beside him. He took me and hid me behind him, holding my hand so that if anything happened, I wouldn't get hurt. As Parker knocked in the door, I held my breath.
      When Parker's dad opened it, I quietly let it out as I studied him. He was a big man, with a beard that was down to his chest. He had a mean face and I could tell he was drunk.
      "Where have you been?!" he asked, shouting. "Dad, before you get upset, there's someone I think you should meet."
Ha before he gets upset? I'd hate to see him when he's really upset.
      As Parker was saying that, his dad spied me. "Well what do we have here??" He raised an eyebrow at his son and grabbed my arm. He held it tight as he dragged me into the living room. Parker came rushing in behind us, slamming the door behind him
      "Your hurting me!!" I shouted, frightened. I started struggling and his dad tightened his grasp even more. "Dad, let her go!" Parker yelled. He tried to stand between me and his dad, but his dad shoved him and away. He fell on the floor and I screamed. He got up, stood up between his dad and I again, and tried pulling me away so I would be safe. Again his dad shoved him away, but this time, Parker hit the wall with a thud. He fell to the floor, unconscious. Then his dad shoved me out of the way and went to his bedroom.
      I fell beside Parker. "Oh Parker," I whispered, tears flooding my eyes. He wasn't moving. "Parker O'Daniel you open your eyes this minute! I traveled half way across the world in order to find you and I don't intend on losing you again!" Just then, he stirred and opened his eyes. He smiled tenderly at me and said; "Are you alright?" "Am I alright?! Are you alright??" I was so relieved. I flung my arms around him and hugged him tight. I felt his arms wrap around me and we held the embrace. After a few moments he let go. He gazed into my brown eyes and smiled. The air in my lungs escaped as warmth flooded my body. He never broke eye contact as he stood up, bringing me with him.
      We left the building and Parker took me to see the sights. We wanted to let his dad sleep it off. Honestly I wouldn't mind it if he stayed asleep for a while.
      When we went back, we walked cautiously into the apartment. Parker made me hide behind him again, much to my annoyance.
I was a big girl I could handle myself! "Oh yeah like you did about an hour ago??" Oh shut up brain who asked you.
      We saw no one so we proceeded to his bedroom. He was awake when we went in. We walked over to his bedside and he apologized for what happened earlier. He was actually pretty nice... when he wasn't drunk of course. He promised to try and stop drinking. Relief filled my body and I looked at Parker. He smiled at me, relief masking his face.
      The days past and things went pretty well. I had pretty much forgotten about Annika and Ezra. (Yes I know, sue me. I'm such a terrible best friend.)
      We lived in Ireland for about a year. I sent a letter to my family, telling them I was okay, since I did leave without a word to them.
I know! I'm a terrible daughter too! Leave me alone.
      The apartment was getting to small for Parker, his dad, and I, so we decided to move. We searched around and finally found something better. We moved onto a lovely farm with a lot of land and woods to explore. It reminded me of my own home and it made me homesick.
      One day, I was in the kitchen preparing dinner while Parker was out trying to find his dad. All the sudden, I heard someone yelling. I stopped what I was doing and listened. It sounded like Parker and his dad! I looked out the kitchen window. It was them! They were fighting. Why? What on earth was going on?!

(A/N) So when it's a new paragraph or a phrase in the middle of a paragraph and in italics, it's Amber thinking. And again I apologize for how poorly this is written. The story gets better I promise!!