Chapter 1

As I watched this something, I told Annika i would call her back. I looked closer and saw it was a person. Throwing what I had been taught out the window, (you know, never talk to a stranger), I ran outside and when I got close yelled a "Hi!" The stranger looked up, startled. As I got closer I could tell it was a boy and what he looked like.
       He was tall and lean, with dark brown, almost black hair and kind of muscular. His eyes were a sparkling deep blue that reminded me of the ocean.
      He had stopped walking by the time I reached him. I noticed he had faint, darkish purple marks on his face and arms. Thinking nothing of it, I dismissed it from my mind.
      "Hi! My name is Amber O'Bryant. What's yours?" He just stood there. "Well...?" I prodded him. "My name is Parker O'Daniel." He had a soft, deep voice with a thick accent. "And...?" I stretched the word out. He tiled his head and stared at me. "And what?" I sighed. "Well where are you from?" I asked as I started walking towards the house. I was hoping he would follow me and I got excited when he did. "Oh I come from Dingle, Ireland. I came to America to start a new life," was his reply. "Oh wow that's cool! How old are you?" "Fourteen." Neat, I'm thirteen."
      We had arrived at the house by the time the conversation ended. We walked up to the door and I opened it. "Come on in," I walked into the house. Realizing I still had my music on, I walked over and turned it off.
        "Ha, sorry about that," I mumbled. "Oh that's okay," Parker answered with a smile. It was a gentle and caring smile. It was one that I could get attached too very easily.
        I showed him around the house and some outside. For some reason, even though he was a stranger, I wasn't scared of him. I had a good feeling about him and somehow knew he wouldn't hurt me.
        Finally, when we were done, we relaxed in the living room.
       "So you said you came to America to start a new life. Why?" I asked. He didn't say anything.
      That got the wheels in my head turning. He had told me that he had came to America to start a new life, but why? Why would a fourteen year-old be traveling by himself in a totally different country? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
       Even though we had just met, I was very curious about him. I wanted to know as much as he would allow me to know. A million questions flashed through my mind. Questions only he could answer. I tried asking a few, but he just stayed silent.
       Finally with one last hope, I asked, "What do you do? Like are you looking for work?" I seemed to hit something with that question. Maybe he was looking for work. In that case I could offer him a job and learn more about him.
        He answered me saying, "I do odd jobs and things like that." "What kind of odd jobs?" I asked him. "Well I've worked on a ranch, I've done gardening here and there... I've done some repair work as well. I'm like a handy man," he answered me, chuckling at the last part.
        "Have you worked with horses before?" I loved horses. In fact I owned one. "Yeah a little. The only horses I've really worked with though are Draft horses," came his reply.
         When he said Draft horses that really got me going. "I've got to tell Annika about this boy!" I thought to myself. One more thing hit me. "Where are you staying?" I asked. "Nowhere really. You could say I'm in between homes right now," he replied, a certain look on his face that I couldn't quite place.
          Silence then encompassed the room. As I sat there thinking, I stared at the window. Then I looked back at Parker. As I watched him, he looked at me. He held my gaze for a minute, and in that gaze, I saw a spark of trust. He was trusting me with something. "But what..?" I asked myself. If I had only known what he was hiding from, I could've saved myself from the pain of falling for him. But I was about to find out.

(A/N: Okay I realize like none of this stuff would happen in real life but hey it is fiction😂. And I just realized when I was writing this that I was thirteen. Not fourteen. Mah bad lol!)