An Unexpected Contestant

Start from the beginning

DAVID VERDIN

Right, right. So I’m making you an offer. We pretend to fall in love on the show. Afterward, we stage a nasty break-up. Then you can sell your story to the tabloids, I sell my story. We each come out about a million dollars richer.

David pulls into the driveway of a mansion, too quickly. There are several cars parked up front. He turns in the seat, one hand at the wheel.

DAVID VERDIN (CONT’D)

So, do we have a deal?

David’s car is about to crash into one of the parked cars. Claire points.

CLAIRE LE MAYES

Look out!

David turns back around and sees the parked car. He hits the brakes and the car SCREECHES to a halt, missing the parked car by inches. Claire is thrown forward. Her glasses tumble to the floor.

EXT. FRONT OF THE MANSION – DAY

David gets out of the car and gets Claire’s luggage. He opens the back door, and picks up Claire’s glasses. He helps her out.

DAVID VERDIN

Sorry about the rough ride. I haven’t driven in years. Usually someone else does that for me. Here.

David hands Claire her glasses and her rolling suitcase.

CLAIRE LE MAYES

Thanks.

Claire puts on her glasses while David watches her.

DAVID VERDIN

You know, you’re not what I expected.

CLAIRE LE MAYES

How so?

DAVID VERDIN

I guess I thought you'd be ugly and have poor hygiene.

Claire seems to waver between feeling insulted and complimented. Before she can say anything, a group of three people, the Woman in a Suit, an ASSISTANT 1, and an ASSISTANT 2 come out of the mansion entrance and head toward Claire.

DAVID VERDIN (CONT’D)

Gotta go!

David scrambles into the car and drives off. The Assistant 1 takes Claire’s luggage. Assistant 2 is marking things off on a clipboard. The Woman in a Suit links arms with Claire.

WOMAN IN A SUIT

This way, ma’am.

The Woman in a Suit leads Claire inside, the two Assistants close behind.

INT. MANSION – ENTRYWAY – DAY

It’s a zoo inside the entryway, filled with seventeen other chattering women, all between the ages of twenty-two and thirty-two. Assistants move about, talking with the women, writing things down, and bringing drinks.

WOMAN IN A SUIT

(to everyone)

People! We start shooting tonight, so be ready.

The Woman in a Suit walks off, Assistant 1 and Claire’s suitcase following her.