| four |

I can't breathe. There's so much blood. I can barely think straight.

Shay brushed her fingers over the words. They had practically been engraved into the paper in black pen. She wrote so hard sometimes that she would break pens. It had been a few hours since Shay walked in on Pietro going through her journal. She couldn't stop looking over the dozen of so pages about her visions of Sokovia. Which ones had he seen? Did he read through her entire journal?

A knock on the door made her jump.

"Shay? It's me." Sonny spoke from the other side of the metal. She closed her journal and stuffed it underneath the mattress.

"It's open." She answered him quietly. The door opened and Sonny stepped in.

"How are you feeling?"

"My head's still hurting and my nose has been bleeding off and on." She watched Sonny move to sit on the edge of her bed.

"Do you want to talk about the vision?"

"It's going to happen." Shay whispered, her eyes flickering down to the steel floor. She brushed her fingertips over the cold metal. "Soon."

"Can you pinpoint when?" Sonny asked. Shay shook her head softly.

"All I can do is wait for another vision and hope I can catch something else."

Sonny took note of the chipped white nail polish on Shay's fingers.

"What's bothering you, Shay?"

"Nothing, Sonny." She answered him. Her eyes met his briefly before she looked away.

"Will you walk with me?" He stood to his feet and held his hand out for her. "Walking helps you think." Shay looked at his hand for a few moments before nodding her head and placing her own in his.

———

Shay jolted awake. A cold sweat covered her skin and her heart thumped against her ribs. The air was cold and nearly silent. Her stomach churned. Something was going to happen. Shay pushed the blankets off of her body. Bare feet padded across the frigid metal floor, guiding her to the door. Just as she was about to reach the door, the room started to spin.

Her fingers found the handle to the door. She pulled it open. The lights in the hallway were dimmed down. Something began to buzz in Shay's ear. Her eyes squeezed shut and she stumbled into the wall across from her room. The buzzing in her ear roared like thousand bees but through the buzzing, she could hear a metallic clank and familiar voices. The Avengers were coming today. A hand on her shoulder made her flinch.

"Shay, what's wrong?" It was Pietro. His voice seemed to over power the buzz. Shay shook her head, her hand coming up to rub her eyes.

"It's-I need-It's happening." Just as those words left her mouth the buzzing went away and the sharp pain in her rib cage disappeared. Shay lifted her head and peered down the hallway behind Pietro. The lights turned off and emergency red and white lights came on a few moments later. "Pietro, whatever you do don't go outside."

"Why?" He furrowed his brows together.

"Someone's here for you." Shay swallowed the lump in her throat. Now wasn't the time to be mad at him for looking through her journal. She needed to make sure no one died. "We need to stay hidden." She took his hand and crossed the hallway back to her bedroom.

"Shay, if there are people here, I need to help." Pietro stopped just before entering her room.

"No, Pietro. You can't-You can't do that." Shay shook her head, brushing braids back out of her eyes. "You need to stay out of the way. You can't fight this time. Last time you did, you almost died. I-I see you dying again, Pietro."