2 ↠ Gone

Training came and went quickly, leading right back to supper time where Bucky and Kathy sat side by side again.

"Spill," Bucky said, nudging her side playfully.

"I was born in New Jersey, my dad was a doctor and I learned a lot of what I know from him," Kathy tried to explain quickly but not leave out any details. She didn't want to get cut off by the drill instructors. "My mom on the other hand was a drunk. She was a lot bigger than my dad, considering he wasn't a big man at all.

"She would yell at him the second he got home from working a thirty two hour surgery at the hospital, throwing things and even hitting him. He didn't fight back, he was a good man. Unfortunately he passed a couple of years ago and I decided to leave home and join the army as a nurse. I've been in for a few months, it took them forever to approve me considering my size, but I'm honestly really glad to be here." Kathy finished, a small smile gracing her lips.

"I'm sorry your mother was like that," Bucky spoke quietly, his playful demeanor dying down. "Did she ever hurt you?" His voice got even quieter, if at all possible and Kathy simply answered with a nod.

"A lot, actually," Kathy became solemn at the confession and Bucky was quick to grab one of her hands in his own. It was the first real act of physical contact they had had considering it was frowned upon to fraternize with other soldiers or medics. The battlefield was for war, not love or friendship and they would get a harsh scolding if anyone suspected they had more than just lunch together.

"I know it doesn't change what happened," Bucky squeezed her hand and gave her a soft smile. "But I won't let anything like that happen to you again okay? I keep my friends safe." He set her hand back on the bench and finished his food just in time for the drill instructors to call him off.

"See you in the morning!" Kathy waved to him as he walked away and he waved back, his usual grin plastered to his face.

After supper, Kathy was keeping her hands busy in her tent by practicing stitching up bananas. Her superiors were worried they would go to waste, but the cooks were planning on making banana bread with the left overs anyway so they said she could practice with them. As she practiced, the tent opened and she heard someone enter. Assuming it was another nurse, she didn't turn around.

"Hey there," Bucky's voice nearly made her jump out of her skin and she turned to see him standing in the doorway with his hands shoved in his pockets.

"Hi," Kathy stood and wiped off the front of her outfit. "You're not hurt are you?"

"No, nothing like that," a sigh escaped Bucky's lips. "Telling me the rest of your story is gonna have to wait a few weeks. They're deploying us earlier than expected, out to Italy I think, they said something about needing us on the front lines there," a wry chuckle floated out of his mouth, as though he thought it would lighten the mood.

"Just make sure you get home to tell Steve the story, okay?" Kathy's voice was barely above a whisper as she stared at the man before her. A moment of tense silence passed and she raised her arms, wrapping them around the taller mans shoulders and pulling him into a tight hug. "Steve would hate to hear that you died trying to get him the best seat in the house." Her voice was weak as she spoke and she was hoping Bucky wouldn't notice.

It seemed silly to care so much for a man she had met a little over two weeks ago, but he was the only real friend she had made. Since all of the other nurses were older and more experienced than her, they didn't often want to hang out with her or talk with her outside of teaching her a few things here and there that she didn't already know.

Much to her surprise, Bucky wrapped his arms around her lower back and held her tight against his chest. Silence washed over them again but this time it seemed more somber than tense.