"Yeah." I breathed out. "I just need some water first."

We waited an hour and a half before we were called back in.
Oliver put his arm around my shoulder and guided us back to the court room.

We met Russell who was looking a little worse for wear back in the court room. We smiled sadly at each other and held hands.
He was taking it hard. He also had to handle the business which was in chaos, as well as Leah who was hard to handle.

He had basically become her guardian, but he couldn't control her completely. She would always find a way to get out and get drugs and into all sorts of trouble.
Russell could only do so much at this point.

Our attention was drawn by the wooden gavel demanding our silence.
I tuned out most of the words that were basically nonsense to me.

The judge turned to the jury who had just finished deliberating. It took only an hour for them to come to a decision on the charges.

A juror stood from her seat. She was an old woman with grey hair tied in a bun. She was no taller than me but much skinnier. "After careful deliberation we find the defendant Marie Adley guilty on all charges."

I heard gasps echo around the otherwise quiet room. Marie had taken a plea deal, she would plea guilty to manslaughter and conspiracy to commit murder and receive a lesser sentence as well as tell the police everything she knew about Mr. Adley.
I saw Marie hunch over and sobs began racking her once proud frame.

"We find the defendant Jeremiah Adley guilty on all charges."

Jeremiah stupidly pleaded innocent, but Marie sealed his fate.

"Mrs. Marie Adley, you have been charged to 20 years in prison no parole." The judge declared while I swallowed nervously.

"That's real light." Oliver muttered beside me.

"Mr. Jeremiah Adley, you have been sentenced to 3 life terms, no parole." The judges stern voice broke through the murmuring crowd.

I don't know if it was relief, anger, sorrow or all of them, I hunched over in my seat muffling my cries with my hand.
I felt Russell's trembling hand in my own and Oliver's steady one soothing me by rubbing circles on my back.

"It's over sweetheart." Oliver whispered in my ear and kissed my temple.

I looked up when I heard struggles and shouting.

"You bitch! You ruined everything!" I flinched but then realised Adley was screaming at his wife. The guards held him back by his arms.

Marie just kept her head down while she was led out.

Unfortunately I caught Adley's eye. "You'll regret this! All of you!"

"That's enough!" The judge boomed. "Get him out of my court room this instant!"

He was dragged out kicking and screaming. I breathed out when he was finally out of sight.

I looked up at Russell. He looked pale and sad. He expected it, but the whole thing was so hard for him. 

"I'm sorry Russell." I whispered and pulled him in for a hug.

"It's not your fault, Cupcake." He held my face in his hands. "None of it is." His thumbs wiped away my tears.

I nodded and pulled away. Oliver stood and offered his hand which I greatfully accepted.

We walked out but I stopped in my tracks causing Oliver and Russell to stop and turn back.

"I think I'm going to be sick." I rushed once again to the toilets. I threw up the very little contents that was left.

I frowned and exited after finishing up.

I met a seriously worried looking Oliver and a concerned Russell.

"You okay Cupcake?" Russell asked.

"I'm fine, I think everything's just catching up with me."

Oliver wrapped an arm around my waist and we walked to the front doors before the courthouse steps.
Hoards of people and reporters gathered around. They all wanted statements and photographs.
I squeezed closer to Oliver.

When our security team noticed us they called for the car and began surrounding us to make a pathway through the frantic bodies.

Russell protected me from one side and Oliver the other. If they weren't there I would have been swallowed up by the crowd.

Tony opened the car door for us and we all climbed in. The car moved forward and I leaned on Oliver's shoulder. His hand rested on my knee and his thumb rubbed soothing circles while he looked thoughtfully out the window.
My eyes took the liberty of closing and I found my breathing becoming even.

"She looks exhausted." I heard Russell say. "Take care of her, Oliver."

"You know I will." Oliver stated.

"I won't be able to see her for awhile. I have to deal with Leah and the company. The IRS, FBI and every other acronym you can think of are investigating Adley Corporations." I heard Russell say as I began to slip into a sleep.

"If you need any help, Black Industries are behind you. I don't want Avery to worry about anything."

Sorry for the slight delay.
I'm dealing with a fair bit at the moment.
My dearest 23 year old horse Samson, is unfortunately dying from old age. He's my best friend and I'm on the other side of the country so I can't make it back to say goodbye.
I haven't really been in the mood to write or study but I'll be getting back into the swing of things.

Please be patient with me as you all have been
Howard x