chapter one

"throw your coin in the wishing well, tell your wish farewell. ask upon a midnight blue, for all your dreams to surely come true."

my hand reached over to close the book.

applause rang around the library, little kids immediately running up to me, their parents failing in grabbing them back.

one little boy was the fastest, hyper as ever.

his curly hair fell in his eyes, and he blinked up at me, tugging at my sleeve.

"mari! please read another!" he begged, tugging on the hem of my shirt, bouncing up and down.

i chuckled, bending down, pushing the hair out of his eyes.

"julian, i gotta go home." i told him, caressing his cheek with a sad smile.

he frowned, "can you finish beauty and the beast next week? you never finished it."

i nodded, "of course. what chapter were we on?"

he pursed his lips, looking deep in thought.

"uh... seven!" he answered, and i laughed.

julian was by far the most esthatic about books than any other little kid i've known.

he'd go to every book reading i had throughout the month, and would check out books every week.

"okay, do me a favor and keep that in mind until next week." i told him, and he grinned, nodding quickly.

"okay!" he agreed, giving me a quick hug before running off the stage, and back to his parents.

my job was my most favorite thing in the world.

i had the amazing opportunity to read to kids every saturday. it benefited from getting money and community service hours.

joe goldberg, the librarian, had offered me the position once he found out i was moving into highschool as a freshman. he insisted that it would help it qualifications for more opportunities in the future, so i agreed.

i had only been working since the beginning of summer, and school was about to start in a couple of weeks.

i wasn't really excited for the change, but there was nothing to be done about it. time waits for no one.

"alright, belle. i'm closing up. i'll get your check in... next week? that's the end of july right?"

i looked up, seeing joe handling some boxes on shelves.

"yup. next thursday i think."

he nodded in acknowledgment, "when do you start school?"

"august twelve." i groaned, making him laugh.

"it's not that bad."

i gave him a look.

"okay, okay. maybe a little." he raised his hands in fake surrender. "you just have to stay with the right people and you'll be fine."

i sighed, "everyone that i talk to is still on vacation. there's literally nobody else."

"that's why communication is a thing. your friends aren't the only humans alive, mari." joe teased, causing me  to glare at him. "seriously, you should consider meeting some new people."

i shrugged, "highly unlikely, but we'll see."

joe only chuckled, "alright, now leave my library."

i placed my hand on my heart, sarcastically scoffing.

"jesus, i work here too!" i exclaimed, walking to the exit, hearing joe's laugh from a while away.