Six

Allan sighed.

He needed to consider the information he'd gathered before deciding on what he could do to bring down "Conner's Crew." If was going to do something about them, he had to come up with a plan.

He started with what he had known from his days living on the streets with his sister. The "Crew" operated among the shops, taverns, and brothels in the river district. They would pick a shop or a tavern, and demand payment from the owner in exchange for the business not being hit by thieves. If the owner refused to pay, not only might the shop be hit with a theft, but any goods that were usually brought to the shop would be intercepted and sold elsewhere. The Crew had another weapon when it came to taverns: start fights in them to cause damage.

Usually the shop owners paid when approached. Only when someone opened a new place, or when an established place was taken over by an owner unfamiliar with the Crew, might the owner not pay for "protection." The attacks on those shops taught everyone else to do as the Crew demanded.

Allan thought about trying to do something about the members of the Crew that collected the protection payments. Those payments were made during the day, however. If he was going to remain in his disguise, he had to act at night.

As much as it might be nice to be seen stopping one of those thugs, that would also mean I'd be seen casting spells. That would be nothing but trouble.

Since that method of attack wasn't wise, Allan considered what he had learned over the last month from asking around, and from what Captain William had told him. The Crew was safe because two well-off businesses employed them. They in turn used their influence on His Lordship, the Lord's advisors, and the Lord's Guards to protect the Crew. One was the Inn of the Black Stallion; they used members of the Crew to compel those who gambled at their back room card tables to pay their debts in full and on time. The other was Fair John and Son's Riverboat Trading; they hired members of the Crew to protect their boats, and occasionally steal merchandise from rivals for them to sell.

Going after anyone hired by the trading company would be foolish. The only time they would be working would be when the protected a shipment. An attack there would look more life theft than justice. There was also the fact that Allan would have to deal with several armed men at once.

That left the thugs who collected debts for the inn. They acted alone, which meant Allan would have no trouble dealing with them. They acted at odd hours, including at night. Then there was the last piece of news the Captain gave him: because most gamblers paid up, not many in the Crew dealt with gamblers. That meant they were often used by the Crew in other jobs.

For me, that means getting my hands on one of those "debt collectors" might allow me to learn more about the Crew and what they're up to.

While that suggested an approach, it also raised a problem. How do I find a member of the Crew out collecting? A few moments reflection suggested to Allan that he go to the Inn. He could try his hand at wagering, and all the while ask around.

What if no one talks?

The obvious answer to that was to get into debt. That would be easy enough; the real problem was what happened then.

I have enough coins from breaking up Merrick's gang to afford decent clothes and make a few wagers. But if I wanted to get into real debt, I'd have to look like the sort of young man who could afford large bets. Otherwise, they probably wouldn't allow me to make large bets.

I'd also have to tell the Inn where I lived, or if I was from elsewhere, where I was staying. They might send someone with me to make sure I was who I said I was.