chapter sixteen

chapter sixteen: where do we go

-

VENUS WISHED THAT Clary or Simon knew how to use a stele. By the time she woke up, she understood that neither of them had activated her healing wound. She could feel the blood that trickled to her head as she hung upside down, and she saw Simon ahead of her.

"Finally, you're awake." Simon muttered to her as he hung upside down himself.

Venus tutted, "It would've been sooner if you knew how to heal me."

"You know," Simon begun, "I don't think I like it when you act as a victim. If you haven't realised, I'm upside down too!"

"That's funny, Simon. Now just use your strength to break us out. Please." She whispered back in attempts to remove the chains from her wrists as well as she swung.

Simon furrowed his brows, "What?"

"I know you're no athlete but you have vampire blood in your system. Just use the strength that's given." Venus informed him, and she watched in awe as he pulled his cuffs apart and split the metal into two. He looked back at her, as she smiled at him, and grinned to himself.

"Woah." He breathed before he swung upwards to unhook himself from the chains.

He then helped Venus out of her chains, and he chopped them in half before he picked her up in his arms. Venus wrapped her hands around his neck, and then finally wobbled back onto her own feet. She didn't want Alec to see them.

Simon laughed. "This wasn't exactly the dinner I had planned."

"I assumed that." Venus chuckled back as she untied the rope around her shoes and the fiddled for her stele. Once she found it tucked neatly into her pocket, she begun to draw on her skin. When she noticed Simon's eyes directed at her, she explained, "Agility and stamina. After passing out, I think it's best I get my energy up quicker."

"So you think I have vampire blood in me?" He questioned her as he tugged onto the bars of the cage. She attempted to help him, but they had no luck.

Venus nodded. "I'm almost certain."

"Why do you-" He begun but was interrupted by her.

"Let's just speak about this once we're out of a werewolf take-out." She muttered, and she rummaged through the lockers as Simon strained as he tried to remove the bars on the window. "Why are we here anyway? Did you find out?" Venus asked him.

Simon sighed, "They think Clary knows where the mortal cup is."

"How stupid are they..." Venus muttered as she found a lighter in one of the lockers. She smiled to herself, and then ran up to Simon. "I have an idea."

They both sprinted to the lockers, and begun to throw everything out of them. They found shirts, contraceptives, electronics, and then finally a phone. Simon glanced down at it, and Venus gasped.

"Who do I... Wait." Simon stuttered, and Venus could tell the panic had automatically consumed him. "Who do I call? Simon, think. Who do you call?" He stumbled over his words as if he were walking on ice.

"Call Clary's phone." Venus spoke, her eyes wide. "I'm assuming that Alec's called for backup so Jace or Izzy could also answer."

Simon vigorously typed Clary's number into the phone as he continuously typed the number wrong. So instead, Venus snapped the phone out of his hands which shook, and asked him to read aloud her number.

"Hello?" She heard Jace's voice, and she sighed with relief.

Simon grinned. "Oh, I thought I'd never utter these words, but, thank God it's you. It's me, Simon."