Footprints

My Love,

I wrote this to tell you a story. The story of our perfect date. You may not remember it, but I remember every detail. The way you smelled and the way you looked. I remember being filled with joy because you were there with me.

It was simple, we decided to go to that restaurant I always loved. Deep down, I knew you didn't really care for it, but you went there for me. We ordered the same meal, because it was my favorite and you knew once I found something I liked, I wouldn't stray away from it.

You kept touching my leg under the table with yours and I remember the butterflies in my stomach seemed to take flight with every touch. That feeling never went away over the years. Every look and every touch always lit a fire deep within me that only you could light.

We decided to go to the beach on our way home. Walking hand in hand, we left a trail of footprints along the shoreline. You carried my sandals for me so I could hold your hand and look for shells along the water.

We finally found the perfect place to sit and stare at the stars in the sky. They seemed to shine brighter that night. You placed your arm around me and held me close. I leaned into you and told myself I would always remember this moment with you.

It was the first time you said "I love you". I thought those butterflies in my stomach would whisk me away. I looked up at you and saw every emotion you felt in that moment. I think they mirrored my own.

"I love you too" I whispered back and you leaned down and placed the most gentle and sweet kiss on my lips. The salty air around us was stirred by the gentle breeze.

In that moment, I knew I wanted to spend forever with you. And that's what we did. We spent forever together...until forever was cut short.

My time is ending, but I will always be with you. I'll wait for you in our special place along the beach, where we had our perfect date. Please don't be sad, you have made me happy every day of my life that I have spent with you and I will see you again. Just follow the trail of footprints to our perfect spot.

Until I see you again my love.

You will forever be my always.