"We'll be home soon, and I cannot walk into the house like this, Charity tried to reason. "What will the servants think?"

"Should I tell you what they'll think?" A dangerously wicked gleam entered Lord Wrotham's eyes.

"No, I don't believe I'd like to hear it spoken aloud." Charity could feel a blush burning her cheeks.

"Pity, I'd have enjoyed telling you in great detail. But worry not, we've at least an hour to make you presentable."

"Now," Lord Wrotham continued silkily, "why don't you tell me the true reason you don't wish to take your place at Halladale?"

Panic welled once more. If Charity agreed to the move, she sensed it would not be long before Lord Wrotham insisted on his conjugal rights. Then, she'd have to tell him she was still a virgin. If he kept on pursuing the current topic, the reconciliation, and her, he'd soon find out the truth for himself. Then, he'd know she hadn't given birth to the twins. That would raise even more questions and uncover all her deceptions.

Of course, Charity knew she'd have to tell Lord Wrotham soon. It was beginning to eat her up, keeping all these secrets from him. Then again, she feared what he might do in retaliation. What if he had a violent temper as her father had?

"If you'll recall, you accepted Miss Middleford's invitation." Charity knew she was grasping at straws. The answer was lame, but it was the first thought that came to her head.

"I didn't mean we'd move this evening," Lord Wrotham said with some exasperation. "But that is not your true concern, is it?"

Lord Wrotham shifted on his seat, hiding the pins from Charity's sight. With gritted teeth, she raised her gaze to the top button on his waistcoat. She would feel less at a disadvantage were her hair not down.

"We did order an expensive gown," Charity pressed.

Lord Wrotham was having none of her deflection. "What is the real reason you do not wish to move? The manor is larger and has updated fixtures. My servants are better trained, and there are more of them," he quickly pressed when it looked like Charity would interrupt. "It's also closer to London. It'll be safer there for us all."

It was apparent in his tone that Lord Wrotham would accept no more quibbling. A valid reason needed to be given. Charity bit her lip in uncertainty and saw his gaze drop to her mouth.

An answer sprang to mind. "Your presence has brought a lot of change. My daughters and I are still trying to adjust."

"Some would argue change is good," Lord Wrotham countered darkly. His tone was growing husky.

"However too much change, too quickly made, breeds chaos."

Lord Wrotham became momentarily distracted by their banter. Charity decided to take advantage of the opportunity that was presented. Stretching across him, she made a grab for her hairpins. Her wrist was caught before she could reach her target.

"I suppose," Lord Wrotham said when Charity's startled gaze met his, "you'd best try to keep up with them." He tugged her closer. "I intend, wife, to make many more changes."

Lord Wrotham's gaze had been on Charity's lips, but as he said the last, it rose to her eyes. His meaning was clearly written there; legible to even an innocent such as she. Breath catching in her throat, her heartbeat picked up its rhythm. Panic warred with excitement.

A hand came up to cup Charity's jaw, and his thumb stroked her uninjured cheek. Lord Wrotham was giving her time to either reject or accept him. The choice was hers.

It was hard to think as a once-alien need began to fill Charity. It started to drown out her panic. Her eyes fell on Lord Wrotham's lips, remembering how it'd felt to kiss him in the library.