A non-committal grunt came from the earl. The large man looked uncomfortable at the slight praise. Changing the subject, he asked, "No more attempts on your life, then?"

"No more shots have been fired." Julian then laid out for Lord Blakemoor the events on the day Charity had been wounded. "I've asked around, and nobody recalls a stranger in these parts," he added after he explained what Nurse Hollings had witnessed.

Voicing his theories as to why that was, Julian watched as the earl smiled and waved at his wife. With a pang of envy, he noted how close the couple were. If any suspicions about a possible romantic attachment with Lady Wrotham remained, they faded at the sight of Lord Blakemoor with his wife.

Moving to another topic, Julian said, "I sent off an inquiry as to the whereabouts of the military man I suspect." He was being purposely vague in his speech. Old habits died hard. "I expect word within the week."

Blakemoor crossed his arms and grunted by way of a reply. Former military himself, he likely understood the nuances.

"As for other possible suspects, I've nearly found that one of the greatest opponents I have within the House of Lords is currently in the area." Julian's voice dropped further, "What do you know of Baron Middleford?"

The earl's dark eyebrows rose in question. "If the rumors are to be believed, he's capable of such a heinous act."

"Yes," Julian turned to stand next to the man and looked at Charity happily chatting with Lady Blakemoor and the mantua-maker. "Lady Wrotham told me of the rumors. I don't suppose there is any way of confirming them?"

"None that I am aware of."

"We'll have to wait until the ball to find out then." Julian felt frustration rise.

"You think he'll make a move against you at his own event?" Lord Blakemore queried. It was evident in his tone that he didn't suspect the baron of being so duplicitous.

Pursing his lips, Julian thought about the question. After a moment, he pointed out, "It'd be a perfect opportunity if he is the culprit. I'll be within his domain."

"I've heard he has Lord Kenneth Stanton and Lord Harry Downing staying with him at Hampward Grange," Lord Blakemoor mused. The information, however, was more than an innocuous statement. Both men, one an earl, the other a baron, were cronies of Baron Middleford. Julian's list of suspects just doubled. All three could be in on the same, murderous plot.

Julian sighed, "This business becomes more and more complicated. In a few days, some fellow," he paused, "soldiers I was on the Peninsula with should arrive. They'll help suss the culprit out."

"I'll do my part as well," Lord Blakemoor promised. "I'm hosting a dinner party two weeks hence. All three men will be there."

"I need not caution you to be careful."

"No," the larger man said, "you need not."

There was little else to discuss, so they rejoined their ladies. Julian was a bit disturbed by what his wife's lady's maid had revealed. The adverse events of Wilcott's journey to Belford he kept to himself. He needed to investigate further to see if the harness had been tampered with or whether it was normal wear and tear that broke the equipage. It was apparent Charity suspected nothing untoward had happened. She was, by and large, an innocent and wouldn't have thought about the possibility of sabotage as he had.

"We are just finishing up," Charity told the men they stopped beside their chairs.

"What design did you choose?" Lord Wrotham asked as he looked over her shoulder to the open page on Charity's lap.