Chapter Fifty-One: Rumour Has It

Daniella brushed her fingers through her hair, she frowned listening to the whispers around her as she walked towards her office; there was news of another attack and more vampires had been killed.

Henri peeked up at his mother as they walked through the corridors, he knew that the rumours often got to his mother; they never knew if his father was one of those vampires that had lost their lives.

“It’ll be okay,” Daniella reassured her son, she only had to pop in and then she had promised to take Henri for ice-cream; she just had to do something very quickly.

Henri nodded his head, he knew that his mother was busy; she was a member of the council and she always made time for him no matter what.

“Daniella,” called Marc van Sciver as he hurried towards the brunette and her son, he smiled spotting them; he still hadn’t given up the hope that Daniella was going to be his.

Daniella gritted her teeth stopping to see what the male vampire wanted, she had made it clear that she loved Gerard and was never going to take another mate.

“Henrique,” Marc greeted looking down at the little boy, he hated the child especially since he was a constant reminder of his father; Marc was sure that he was going to send the boy off to boarding school when Daniella agreed to be his.

Henri glared at Marc, he knew that the male vampire wanted and his mother had made it clear that she wasn’t interested.

“I was wondering if you had heard the news,” Marc said carefully, he hadn’t been able to resist coming to see Daniella when he had heard; there was no proof that it was true but he wanted to be the one to comfort her when she found out.

Daniella shook her head, she drew Henri closer knowing that she didn’t like him being too close to Marc; she didn’t trust the blonde haired male vampire.

“Daniella… it’s Gerard, I’m so sorry,” Marc said shaking his head, he looked down at the floor knowing that no one would have told her about what had happened; he peeked at Henri who was holding his mother’s hand tightly.

It had been a surprise for the council when Henri had been discovered to be as talented as his mother; the little boy could project his thoughts just by touching a person.

Daniella blinked staring at Marc, she truly hoped that this was some horrible attempt to win her over; she took a shaky breath, she didn’t want to believe what he was saying.

“You’re lying,” Daniella said wishing for a moment that she had Patricia’s talent of lie detection; she felt sick right now and couldn’t believe that Marc had told her this right in front of Henri.

Daniella closed her brown eyes as Henri squeezed her hand, she could sense his worries and wished that this wasn’t happening.

Marc looked at Daniella hopefully, he carefully reached out to comfort her only for Daniella to step back and glare at him.

Daniella didn’t say a word as she turned on her heel and walked away taking Henri with her; she didn’t want anything to do with Marc.

***

Daniella took a deep breath as she opened her apartment door, she couldn’t believe that there were so many rumours about Gerard’s death; she had checked with several people and they had all said the same things.

Henri looked up at his mother, he didn’t like this and it scared him; he didn’t want Marc as a step-father even though he knew his mother would never take another man as her husband after his father.

Daniella moved to set her bag down on the table in the hall when she spotted something had been moved; she stared for a moment before grabbing a hold of her son.

Henri peeked up at his mother, he didn’t know what it was but he had never seen her like this before; Daniella swallowed back a snarl as not to scare her son.

“I want you to go to your room and hide,” Daniella whispered making Henri blink as he looked at her, he nodded his head realising that someone was in their home.

Daniella nudged her son towards his room before she carefully made her way through the apartment checking carefully as she went.

Daniella chewed on her lip, she didn’t know anyone who could have gotten into the apartment so easily and she knew it wasn’t Katie; she was currently at work and Thiago was with her.

Daniella jumped as someone wrapped their arms around her and pulled them flushed against, she gritted her teeth as she struggled against their hold; she couldn’t believe that she was being attacked in her own home.

Daniella quickly grabbed a hold of the man’s hands and flipped him over her shoulder, she was suddenly very glad her father had insisted that she take some self-defence classes.

Daniella pinned the man with her telekinesis, she took a deep breath wondering what she was going to do next before she stared down at the man that she had pinned preparing to quiz him.

“Gerard…” Daniella breathed shocked at the sight of her husband, she blinked wondering what the hell was going on; she had never thought that she was going to see him again.

Gerard chuckled amused staring up at his wife, she looked even more beautiful than what he remembered and he was a little surprised at how well her talent had developed.

“Hola,” Gerard greeted as Daniella released him, she stepped back in shock while Gerard slowly got to his feet; it certainly wasn’t the greeting that he had been expecting after four years away.

Daniella clapped a hand over her mouth, she couldn’t believe that he was standing before her; she had come home thinking that he had been killed.

Gerard smiled softly pulling Daniella into his arms, he could see the tears in her eyes and he didn’t want her to cry; today was a happy day and he was sure that she was in shock.

“I thought you were dead,” Daniella cried clinging to her husband, she hadn’t held him in her arms for four years and he had finally come home to her.

Gerard closed his eyes, he knew it had been hard and he was going to spend as much time as possible with his family.

“I promised I would come back,” Gerard whispered pulling back a little to kiss his wife, he had no intentions to leave anytime soon and he was hopeful about not being deployed anytime soon.

Daniella wrapped her arms around him as they kissed, she had missed him so much and so much had changed while he had been away; she was thrilled to finally be able to hold him.

“Mama,” Henri called padding into the room, it was far too quiet and he didn’t like it; he stopped at the sight of his mother kissing some man, his head tilting wondering what was going on.

Gerard pulled away from his wife, his blue eyes landing on his son; he couldn’t believe how much Henri had grown up since he had last seen him.

Daniella swallowed resting her head against Gerard’s, she took a shaky breath knowing that she couldn’t put this off; Henri needed to know who this was.

“Henri… this is your padre,” Daniella said looking at her son, she didn’t know what to expect from the little boy but she knew how much this meant to Gerard.

Their bond might have been weakened since they had been parted but she knew her husband had waited long enough for this moment.