Picnics and Bombs

Start from the beginning

"Alex?" Sabina called out in concern, a deep frown marring her features. After that, everything seemed to happen slowly, and yet, all at once. In the blink of an eye, the man was already gone, having hurried away. Alex had already speed-dialed Byrne's number and started walking towards the barbeque pit, before he even knew what he was doing, taking care to keep out of the Asian's sight. At the same time, it seemed like Byrne was taking forever to answer his phone. He reached the barbeque pit and stared in horror at what he found when he pulled off the garbage bag covering it. Looking at the people enjoying their day at the park, he made sure no one had seen his expression. It wouldn't do to alert them to the danger too soon. Sabina had started to make her way towards him, wondering what was going on, so he motioned for her to stay put.

"Byrne," a voice finally answered on the phone.

"Mr. Byrne, this is Alex Rider. I'm - "

"Alex! I was just about to call you!" Byrne exclaimed, evidently relieved.

"What?! Why would you...", he trailed off. His eyes narrowed. "Something's happened, hasn't it? Never mind. I'm at Golden Gate Park and I just saw a Big Circle member place a bomb in a barbeque pit." Byrne tried to ask him a question but Alex talked over him. "It's set to go off in 15 minutes and I don't know if any other bombs have been placed. I'm going after him." Alex had already set off in the direction the man had gone, halfway to the edge of the park.

"Alex, no! You are not to go after him, you hear me? I'm notifying the SFPD and sending some agents in to conduct an evacuation. I'll be landing in San Francisco shortly anyways. I need you to stay where you are so we can find you. You'll be more use to everyone where you are right now, not going after the man yourself." Byrne paused. "Don't leave the park unless you're attacked. In that case, contact me as soon as it's safe. If you're not at the park when my agents arrive and I don't hear from you in half an hour from now, I'm sending out an alert and a search party."

"Fine." He hung up and it wasn't long before he heard the sirens. Afterwards, everything was a blur. An agent he had worked with before, Ed Shulsky, greeted him before having him recount everything he remembered about the situation while the authorities evacuated everyone in an orderly fashion, even if the civilians were in a state of mild panic. The area was cordoned off and there were teams sent out all over the park to do the same if any other bombs were found. A few bomb squads were on standby while a team worked on disabling the one Alex had found. Meanwhile, he and Sabina were ushered into a black armored vehicle and brought to a grey building in the middle of an industrial district. A sign indicated that it was the business place of the Collective Investment Association.

"CIA building," he supplied in response to Sabina's questioning glance. She nodded in understanding as they were led through a reception area and into an elevator which took them to the 5th floor. He guessed that the elevator would have similar cameras and detectors doing security scans as the Royal and General, MI6's headquarters, did. They followed Shulsky to an office where Byrne tiredly greeted them and offered a drink before they sat down in some of the chairs facing the deputy director. Alex was not surprised to see that his earlier theory of Byrne having similar offices in every major American city was confirmed. In Miami and New York, the offices both had the same ordinary furniture, blank walls, and air conditioning. The office here in San Francisco was no different. What was surprising was the presence of Edward and Liz Pleasure standing next to a couple of agents who had expressionless faces.