Introduction

The Western War took place between January 5, 2030 and December 20, 2036. War broke out between the state of Canada and the United States of America on January 5th, 2030 after months of tariff escalation, political interference, high-profile assassinations and troop stationing at shared borders. The US Army invaded Canada during the early hours of January 5th and by 4 p.m. EST  had captured Ottawa, the capital of Canada. Within 30 minutes of the capture of the Canadian capital, Washington, DC, Los Angeles, Boston, Philadelphia and New York were all stormed by Russian troops and bombed where needed to cripple the metropolis centers. The state of Russia officially joined the Western War by 5:00 P.M. EST on January 5th, 2030. Canadian troops gained control of Ottawa once more, but were unsuccessful in holding it for longer than a week. 

The US army pushed into central Canada, securing the provinces of Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and the western part of Quebec by March. This success of the early campaign in the war led to the US army spreading themselves thin as they fought to keep hold of Canadian territory and their own land as Mexican troops gained control of the sates of Texas, Arizona and lower California. By June, 2030 the US army were fighting on three different fronts: in Canada, Texas and for major cities in the Midwest as Russia had gained control of the east coast. On June 14th, 2030  British troops landed in the Canadian province of New Brunswick and pushed into Maine, USA, gaining control of the state and putting a strong defense in upper New England. By August of 2030 Russian troops had pushed the US Army to the west coast, with the US Army holding less than 30% of their original territory, and withdrew all troops from Canada. 

On August 1st, Britain and the European Union declared war on Russia, invading the country from multiple entries. By August 10th it was globally recognized that a third world war had broken out as China, Japan, North and South Korea, Vietnam and Mongolia sided with Russia, sending the European and Asian continent into a frenzy. An unknown illness spread across Asia and Europe, thought to have been released by the Russian state and by the last government reports, had killed just over 1 billion people by 2035. By December of 2030 mass electrical grid failures occurred across North America, Europe, South America and Asia. Following this, radio silence was achieved in many heavily populated areas and the world slipped further from controlled civilization to utter chaos. 

People began murdering one another over resources, with all commercial trade coming to an end on a worldwide scale, food became scarce and people began to starve. On April 13th of 2034 it was formally recognized that the state of Canada and the United States of America were no longer in control of their people and land and were thereby disbanded. All remaining troops in the pockets of civilization that remained on the continent were released from service and told to defend for themselves for the foreseeable future. Russian hold on the North American continent was eradicated as the state lost territory on the Asian continent and changed their military campaigns. 

Final estimates for the death toll in the United States by 2034 ranged between 150-200 million due to a combination of invasion, the loss of medical supplies, food, running water and all government support. Estimates for Canada by 2034 ranged between 20-25 million due to the genocide of Canadian citizens throughout the war by American troops, and the loss of basic necessities. 

As panic spread throughout the continent during the early days of the war, people either prepared for the worst or did nothing different as they could not fathom a world where a North American citizen would ever not have complete security. 

In Northern Maine, on the Canadian border, sat a town called Passam, named after an Indigenous tribe that once held control of the area. The mayor of Passam began building a wall around the historical district of the small city during the summer of 2034 and began recruiting scientists, artists, engineers and carpenters to live inside the district with their families. Disguised as a precautionary measure against bombing with its reinforced 30 foot mix of concrete and wood walls, it became the mayor's final attempt at protecting the last rural pocket of civilization that he had confirmed knowledge of.