Chapter 13

Prom was supposed to be an event for all to have fun and remember as a glorious night. Prom was not supposed to involve a murder.

When Kit was getting ready for the special night with Beatrice, she remembered how last year she told herself that she will never find a date for prom. Her past self was wrong, which was something she was very happy about.
After the aftershow party, Kit told her friend about the news. Beatrice was delighted and told her that someone also asked her to go to prom. For a moment Kit thought that Lemony changed his mind about going alone, but when she said it was Bernhardt Baudelaire, she felt guilty for ever doubting her brother's decisiveness.
So while Lemony was going alone, Jacques asked me, to everyone's surprise. I, of course, said 'yes'. Nobody would say 'no' to going to prom with a Snicket.

The prom started as every prom should. Lemony held a wonderful speech about school life and growing up and then everyone danced. The school band was playing live and even the choir performed a song together with them. The night appeared to be completely normal. But who knows life knows that something bad happens when it's too normal. This night was no different.
All started with one scream. In the middle of the slow-dancing song, a girl started screaming as if she was being attacked. When everyone looked at her, she was pointing at a boy on one of the chair around the large room. He looked like he was sleeping, but as the girl had touched him, he fell off the chair, laying on the floor unconscious.
When the principal told a teacher to call an ambulance, we all knew this was something serious.

On the next day, the school was told that the boy died in the hospital. Noone knew what to say. We were given no further information and were told to pack our bags. All of our parents were called to pick us up. Everyone was confused, a few children were crying. After a few hours everyone was told to go to the theatre for an announcement.

When everyone was finally seated, Principal Ishmael finally began talking: "We are sad to say that a pupil, unfortunately, died due to an undiscovered nut allergy that was triggered which the snacks at prom."
While most students began to relax now that they knew we were not being attacked by a murderer, the VFD members were still skeptical. As a goodbye to all students, the principal took a deep breath and said: "We will shout the school for the rest of the year and hope we will re-open then. Now, all of my students, go home and always remember: Memento Mori."

At first no one knew what that meant, but as the Latin students began whispering the translation of this mysterious message, the room was filled with the following words: Remember You Will Die.