Chapter 11

I waited for an hour until the students left the principal's office, all heading to class. I wanted to ask one of them what the meeting was about, but I didn't dare to. So I decided to take a seat behind Kit and Beatrice in physics class, so I could hear what they were saying.

"What do you think?", Beatrice asked her friend.

"I don't know. His proposition seems slightly too good to be true. Why would he want to build up anything with a bunch of teenagers, especially some kind of organization?", she answered.

"Shhh... Don't say that so loudly. It is supposed to be secret.", Beatrice replied quietly.

"Well, we'll see how many show up tomorrow at the same time.", Kit said.

Right after this, our teacher entered the room and our lesson started.

On the next day I hid again and again the five students showed up at 1 pm. Again I didn't approach them and again the door of the principal's office opened and the pupils went inside. This time the meeting didn't last as long as yesterday. Only after about 10 minutes the other students came out and went to class.

I stayed in the broom closet for a while, watching the door. Only after Principal Ishmael exited his office, my curiously got the best of me and I sneaked into the room. I didn't want to go through the many folders on the shelves, so I only looked at the paper on the desk. One certain piece stood out to me. There were the names of all five students under a heading that said: Volunteer Fire Department. Before I could read anything, I had to run out of the door as I could hear someone coming up the creaking stairs.

As I exited the door I thankfully didn't see the Principal, but Jacques Snicket. My horrified face relaxed slightly as I saw his smirky grin. I ran down the corridor, not wanting to be confronted by him.

Because of this, I was anxious about the next Drama Club meeting. I didn't want Jacques telling everyone I was in the Principal's office without his permission. But before it could come to that, Jacques took a seat next to me in the servery.

"I never expected you had it in you.", he said. I didn't look up from my plate.

"Well, of course, I didn't tell anyone, so you can relax a bit and maybe talk to me.", he continued.

"Thanks.", I mumbled. Then I took a deep breath and asked him about the meetings.

Surprisingly he gave me all the information I wanted and even invited me to their next meeting.
This was how my career in the VFD started. Snooping around and getting caught by a Snicket...