At worst, he needed to know how many bastards he had to go kill.

He had to press her, had to get an answer from her. So he cajoled. "If you don't tell me now, the doctors will perform testing to find out. Come on sweetheart, save us the time," he added gently. "Please," he couldn't help the begging quality of his tone.

He also had no idea where the word 'sweetheart' came from.

She whined softly at that, cuddling her tail as she did, at the thought of doctors and unpleasant tests, at his curse. She finally nodded, though refused to look at him when she did.

"Yes they've been using you to... to birth more offspring? Or yes you're going to answer me?" He was hoping she was too young for the breeding program. He was hoping against hope that her nod didn't mean what he knew it did.

She huffed in exasperation. He knew damn well what she meant. "Yes, they've used me for that," she finally muttered. "They tried with human males first to see if they could get the offspring they wanted. It didn't take, but they couldn't get the wolves to... perform... without consent so they were going to try artificial insemination next," her tone is clear they hadn't tried that yet. There was nothing good about any of this.

Bucky felt terrible. She'd been raped. Probably repeatedly and often. And probably by men similar to his built, he could only assume. Now he understood why she curled up on herself. "Gwen, I wouldn't do that to you. None of us would. You're safe here," he paused to let his words sink in. "I'm sorry for the abuse and losses they caused you."

"I know most men aren't like that," she said softly with a generosity beyond any saint with what she'd been through. She really did know it. It was still hard to trust, though. "The grumpy man with the stupid hat," she indicated Loki's horned helmet with her hands. He really did have a distinctive helmet. "Said it would be safe with the Avengers," she said in a soft voice and looked up at him hopefully. The poor thing just wanted to be safe.

And loved?

Where the fuck had that thought come from??

And why wasn't it going away?

He shook himself away from that line of thoughts and nodded. "You're safe here," he confirmed. He was interested in learning more about her and her werewolf history so he pressed on. "How old are you? Do werewolves age like regular people?" He was so childlike in his excitement to learn more about her and her people.

She pondered that for a moment. She actually had to think about it. "23, I think. It was hard to keep track in Hydra," she shook her head at his other question. "We age to maturity like humans and then stop aging. I'll look like this until the day I die," she explained.

She scarcely looked 18. That explained why the team thought she was barely legal.

"Wow, that would make you noticeable after a while. I don't age right either. Don't think I can," he admitted. Hydra had messed with him too after all and they still didn't know all the repercussions of that.

She nodded and looked interested, her posture relaxing again, though she had the adorable habit of cuddling her tail. Bucky didn't know what a word strong than 'adorable' was. But that was the word that described her cuddling her tail. "Hydra did horrible things to you too?" She asked, thinking him possibly a kindred spirit.

Bucky nodded, then pulled off the glove on his left hand, raised the sleeve up. He usually hid his metal arm, generally not around the tower, but definitely when he was helping the rescues. He didn't want to scare them. And his metal arm was intimidating at best, downright terrifying at worst. Especially those from Hydra who knew him. "And they screwed up my brain," he admitted.

She reached out curiously and touched his metal arm with a gentle tentative hand. Bucky tried not to recoil, though it wasn't like the arm had the ability to feel. He still couldn't believe this adorable gentle being was trying to touch a monster like him. "I'm sorry they did that to you" she said softly. Even after all she'd been through, the little creature was gentle, caring, and kind. It should've been stamped out of her years ago.

He was so grateful it hadn't been.

"Well, technically I lost my arm in the 40's but they gave me a new arm. At the price of my sanity. They used me to kill a friend and his wife. Almost killed my oldest friend. He is who eventually broke their brainwashing," he explained to her.

She listened to his story with interest and wide eyes, but nodded sadly. "They're terrible people" she said softly. "But we're free now?"

"Yes, little one. We're free. We only want to help you heal and keep you safe, if you'll let us."

She nodded and looked so heartbreakingly relieved. And somehow, inexplicably her relief and calm and peace spread to him as well.

And he found himself caring more for this strange, exotic, enticing little wolf-girl than any of the other rescues, than anyone he'd met since he'd come out of the ice. And he'd only met her less than an hour ago.

Now wasn't that interesting?