Her Boss's Baby - Chapter Nine

Start from the beginning

He pushed her head back to his chest, and held her tighter. "Being a defense attorney with little to no scruples gives me a sort of shield. I spent my time giving legal advice. Though I don't think you would be happy with all the loopholes I told them about. It was not difficult." 

Jane rolled her eyes, "Here I was worried you were being bruised and beaten." 

"You were worried about me?" He asked with a grin as he released her.

She shrugged, "Maybe." 

With a laugh, he rounded the car, and climbed into the passenger seat. While she drove he retrieved his things from the glove box. "Thanks for keeping these safe." 

"You knew they were going to arrest you, that's why you emptied your pockets in there, isn't it?" 

"I had a strong suspicion. As I said, I've got a lot of enemies in the police department. Even more at the District Attorney's office." 

"Yeah, but they can't just arrest you for no reason." 

"As you know, they can make up anything they want. The hearing on Wednesday will prove them wrong." 

Jane drove in silence for a few minutes. "What about accidentally sending you all the way out here to the federal prison and then loosing your paperwork for four days. Have you ever seen that before?"

He snorted a laugh, "To many times. It's always a clerical error."

"Um, the offer to stay in my spare room is still open." She offered. 

"Thank you. I appreciate that. I do need to pick up some clothes. Since my house is still a crime scene, I need something to wear." 

"Alright. Well, it'll take a while to get there but there's a mall on the way home. It's probably not the fancy clothes you are used to, but..." She shrugged. 

"You can just drop me there. I'll call a rental agency. I need to a car until mine released."  

"I should be the one to rent a car." She answered, "This one is technically yours." 

"Don't tell anyone that." Rain suggested. "I don't want the police impounding this one as well." 

"You think they would?" 

"They'll do whatever they need to to make my life a living hell. You'll just be collateral damage." 

An hour and a half later, Jane pulled the car to a halt at the curb in front of the mall entrance. She reached into her purse and pulled out a key ring with a single key on it. "Since you're staying there, you might as well have a key." 

Rain held out his hand for her to drop the key. "Thanks." 

"I might be going out with Shy and Nikki tonight. I will probably be out late." 

Leaning over, he kissed her cheek, "Have fun, I'll see you when you get back." 

Her phone started ringing as she pulled away from the curb. She put it on speaker. "Hello." 

"Hey, Jane," Dr. Sylvia said through the phone. "I need you to come by the office." 

"Why? I'm not supposed to be there until Monday." 

"I know, just come by. I need to talk to you." 

Jane groaned, "Can't you just tell me over the phone."

"No. Come to the office." 

"Fine." Jane hung up, and steered the car towards the doctors office. When she entered, she found the nurses locking up. "I'm meeting Sylvia."