Grange was quiet for a long moment and Brendon wondered what was going through the wolf’s mind. Finally the other man spoke.

“You’re a friend, Brendon. If you need my help then you have it. Your woman and the girl are welcome to stay here. After all, I do owe you one for saving Dawn.”

“That was going to be the next tool I pulled from my kit.’ Brendon assured him and Grange chuckled.

“I’d say it was.” his face turned more serious. “Now who wants me dead?” Brendon laughed.

“Some young pup alpha of the southern pack. Says you killed his dad.”

“But I got a letter from the alpha of that pack saying he wouldn’t cause me trouble. I thought he was the trustworthy sort.”

‘He was.” Brendon replied, pulling a rolled cigarette from his pocket since Maggie wasn’t around to curl her tiny nose at him. “This is the new one. Took over a few months ago.”

Grange rolled his eyes. “Great. So a pup is out to get me.”

“Yep. But I’m sending the council his way as soon as I check in. He’s keeping a nice assortment of pets judging by the scents at that place.”

Grange just shook his head and ran his hand through his thick dark hair.

“Some things never change.”

Brendon nodded his agreement. Suddenly Grange became tense and Brendon whirled around when Ella’s familiar scent reached his nose. She was crying.

Instantly his temper was riled. Who would dare make her cry?! The damn woman had been through enough! He had thought Dawn and the pack would welcome her not send her running in tears.

He threw a glance at Grange who just shrugged and then he caught a sobbing Ella in his arms as she slammed into his chest.

***

Ella turned her attention to the female werewolf that was talking to Maggie who was still sitting on Brendon’s horse. Ella was ready to protect the girl if necessary.

“What’s your name?” Maggie asked the wolf.

“I’m Brie. What’s your name?”

“Maggie.” the girls dark eyes went to Brendon’s back which was quickly fading into the trees. “Where is Brendon going?”

“To talk to Grange. They’re old friends.” Brie assured the girl. “Do you know that there is a baby in that house? Would you like to go in and meet him and get something to eat?”

“I already ate.” Maggie said matter of factly. “Brendon chased a wild chicken.” Trig’s snort of laughter drew Ella’s attention back to him. He smelled like Farrah. Her mate?

“The baby then? I’ll bet you like babies.”

“Yes I do.” Maggie replied with a big nod. “I always helped Widow Callahan with the babies.” Maggie’s face became sad. “But I had to leave there. Brendon said there wasn’t even time to say goodbye.”

Nickolai and Brie shared a look. That sounded like trouble.

“Well come in then and you can meet little Creed. I’m sure his mama would love to have a big helper like you around.” Nickolai stepped forward and held his arms out for the girl who stared at his scarred face in shock.

“You’re scaring the girl, Nickolai.” Brie scolded her stern mate. Honestly he looked more like he was dealing with some prisoner of war than a little girl. Nickolai smiled apologetically and instantly Maggie smiled back and let him lift her from the saddle.