One Shot

Okay so I know that I promised y'all a new chapter of my story, and clearly that hasn't happened yet (pm me if you want to hear a cool story about why involving a robot named Jerry-rigged 2.0), but I was struck with the inspiration to write this cute little one-shot based on this picture here:
Okay never mind it's up top.

Alright, cue the trashy writing. (P.S. this is going to have a lot of stuff I'm making up for plot points, don't fact check me on anything or get your panties in a twist because it isn't truly accurate. Okay? Thanks, bye.)

TRIGGER WARNINGS: Mentions of an abusive relationship

45 minutes. 45 minutes! That's how long I've been sitting alone at this table in my local, family-run diner waiting for my complete jerk of a boyfriend to show up for our one year anniversary dinner.
But alas, as you've probably come to realize, he's a no show. Come to think of it, he's usually always a no show. He wasn't there three months ago when I graduated from BYU with high honors. He wasn't there when my brother passed away and I needed the comfort of a friend or really anybody to help me through that hard time in my life. He's never there.
I can tell you exactly where he is though. He spends his days working at the local convenience store, sampling every type of liquor they sell before it makes it onto the shelves. He comes home with a new eighteen or nineteen year old every other night and takes her into our bedroom. You know, in the apartment that I pay all the rent on because he can't be bothered to spend money on anything other than hookers and beer.
It used to bother me that he brought home women half his age all the time but now I just don't care. It used to bother me that when I stood up for myself or our relationship he'd beat me in a drunken rage. But I've learned my lesson. Now I just ignore him and ignore the problem. It's been like this for about 10 months now.
Anyways, back to the current predicament.
"Are you sure there isn't anything I can get you, deary? Even just a glass of water or something?" The kind natured waitress asks.
"No thank you Marsha. I'm just going to wait a little longer. He may still show up." I reply.
"Mallory Everton," she starts "you need to wake up and smell the coffee sunshine. That no good cheating dirtbag doesn't deserve you. Why I've known you since you were just a little girl. You used to come in here and be a little ball of sunshine. Now look at yourself, always tired with bags under your eyes and why, I haven't seen you happy since before you started dating Jimmeny or whatever his name is."
"Jordan" I corrected.
"That's not my point and you know it missy. Now, you can wait if you want but let me know if you decide you want anything."
"Yes Marsha, thank you."
She grasped my hand and squeezed it once before walking back over to the counter. I couldn't be mad at Marsha. I've been coming to this diner for as long as I can remember and Marsha is like a grandmother to me. She's been here for me for everything; from the small celebrations, like getting my braces removed, to the bad days because of cramps when I just needed some ice cream and a pep talk, to the big moments, like the day my acceptance letter came for BYU.
I shook my head of the thought and heard the little bell over the door jingle. I couldn't be bothered to look up and see who it was though. I'd been watching the door for what feels like forever now and no sign of Jordan. Why would it be him now all of the sudden?
Only a few seconds later I heard somebody sit down across from me. Picking my head up slightly, I noticed a tall, skinny man with brown messy hair and the warmest chocolate eyes I've ever seen. Before I could say anything he cut me off.
"Sorry about that love. The traffic though Elm street was horrendous and they made me stay late at the office to finish up some things." He ended his sentence with a wink in my direction, signaling me to follow along.
"It's alright dear. Just text me next time though, I've been worried sick." I managed to choke out.
He nodded and then lowered his voice so that only I could hear him.
"I'm Matt by the way, Matt Meese, and I'm awful sorry to sneak up on you like that but I couldn't let a woman as beautiful as yourself be sad and alone."
He smiled an award-winning smile and I felt the tension leave my shoulders. I also felt my face heating up in a blush at his compliment.
"Why thank you kind sir," I giggled "I'm Mallory Everton, but my friends all call me Mal. Thank you by the way."
"Mal." He spoke my name slowly, as if getting used to the foreign name on his tongue. "How lovely to meet you miss Mal. Now, what is a beautiful lady by yourself doing here all by herself?"
I looked down at my hands, unsure about what to tell this man, Matt, and more unsure about his reaction.
"I was waiting for my boyfriend" I said softly.
"Oh I'm sorry, I should go" he replied as he started to get up.
"No!" I grabbed his hand quickly and pleaded with him with my eyes. "Please stay. I didn't mean it like that, oh god I'm so sorry, I'm such an idiot."
"No no, you aren't and please don't be sorry. I didn't mean to pry, it really is none of my business, I was simply trying to make conversation."
I smiled at him sympathetically while I took a deep breath to calm myself.
"I was waiting for my boyfriend Jordan. I've been here over an hour now and I had a feeling he wouldn't show up, he never does. I guess I was just hoping that he might have on our one year anniversary."
Matt looked at me with the softest smile on his face and gave a gentle squeeze to my hand, which was still holding his.
"I'm very sorry to hear that Mal. Is there anything I can do to help?"
"Well I hate to ask this of you" I started slowly.
"I'll do anything for you."
"Would you care to be my stand-in date?"
A brief look of surprise crossed over his face and then turned into a look of joy.
"I would absolutely love to."

    I can't tell you whatever happened to Jordan. I broke up with him that same night, Matt went with me for moral support and to help in case things got violent. I've heard that he got arrested, which wouldn't surprise me but I honestly don't know.
    Matt asked me to be his girlfriend the very next day. He helped me move out of my apartment that was associated with nothing but bad memories and into a spare bedroom at his friend Whitney's place. Whitney and her husband Stephen welcomed me with open arms and have become some of my best friends.
    He also got me a job on a television show with him and all his friends called Studio C. All of the fans were rooting for Mattory from the beginning and were ecstatic when we finally confirmed that we were dating.
    Two years ago he asked me to marry him and I, of course, said yes. I can't imagine life without him or any of my new friends. We all recently started a new project called JK Studios, which has allowed us more creative liberties and licenses. I couldn't be happier.
    "And now my little one," I say as I brush back the wisps of hair on our toddler's head "know the full story of how Mommy and Daddy met. And when you wake up in the morning, I'll tell it to you again so you don't fall asleep during it, because I know how much you wanted to know the ending."
    I gave my little daughter a kiss on her forehead and stood up from the edge of the bed. I turned off her lamp and walked over to the doorway, where I saw my husband standing.
    "I love that story" Matt says as he wraps his arms around me from behind.
    "I'm so glad you decided to crash my not date" I replied with a giggle.
    "Oh as am I my darling, and tomorrow, when you tell our princess the story again, you can also tell her she's going to have a little brother."
    He placed his hands on my slightly swollen stomach and rubbed in small circles.
    "I love you Mr. Meese" I say as I lean my head back on his shoulder and watch our daughter sleep peacefully.
    "I love you too Mrs. Meese, and I always will."

Ta-da.
Be happy I wrote something.