Chapter 13: Battle of the Bastards

Start from the beginning

They watched as Ramsay reached behind his back, drawing a dagger which he held up to them. Jon dismounted, walking ahead of the others while Rickon lowered his head and closed his eyes, waiting to feel the dagger cut him. Instead Ramsay cut the ropes around his wrist, quickly tucking the dagger back behind him.

"Do you like games, little man?" asked Ramsay. "Let's play a game."

Reek, his head downcast, let his eyes shift toward Ramsay as the man grabbed Rickon's shoulder, pulling him closer and pointing across the field.

"Run to your brother." Rickon glanced up. "The sooner you make it to him, the sooner you get to see him again. That's it. That's the game. Easy!" Ramsay looked to Rickon, shaking him lightly. "Ready?" He guided Rickon forward, letting the boy take a step. "Go!"

Rickon took a few more steps before he looked over his shoulder to Ramsay, Reek's eyes shifting between Ramsay and Rickon.

"No, you have to run, remember?" Ramsay said playfully. "Those are the rules."

Ramsay turned as a soldier brought him a bow which he took, letting Reek hold the quiver of arrows beside him. Rickon took a breath and started running as fast as he could. Ramsay drew the first arrow and Jon turned, rushing to his destrier and leaping onto it, digging his heels in and galloping into the field, alone.

Ramsay took his time nocking the arrow, letting Rickon run, looking back over his shoulder as Ramsay loosed. The arrow landed a meter to Rickon's left, though Ramsay shrugged, having barely aimed.

Reek watched him take another arrow, looking across the field to Jon Snow galloping toward his brother. Ramsay drew, but turned to Reek, his lips stretched into a playful smile as he loosed the arrow and turned to see where it landed. Nowhere near Rickon.

Jon held out his right hand as he got closer, Rickon breathing heavily as he pushed himself to keep going.

Reek watched Ramsay draw the bow string back, closing one eye as he angled it.

And then Reek hit him.

It wasn't very hard, didn't make him bleed or likely hurt much, but it was enough to make his arrow shoot far to the right. Far from Rickon. And it was surprising enough to make Ramsay stumble back.

The soldier that had brought him the bow rushed forward to grab Reek, drawing his sword until Ramsay held out a hand. "No!" Ramsay glared into Reek, who stood in tears, terrified of what he'd done. "Throw him in the kennels, but keep them caged. Let him work them into a frenzy."

Jon looked past Rickon as he heard Reek scream while he was dragged away, "RUN!"

Ramsay picked an arrow off the ground, stood firmly in place and loosed his fourth arrow.

Rickon's hand reached out and grabbed Jon's, his feet leaving the ground as Jon pulled him up with his right hand while his left tugged on the reins of his horse. The destrier started to turn when the arrow pierced it's left eye, pushing through it's right cheek.

His horse came to a stop, it's front legs buckling first and their army watched in horror as Jon and Rickon were thrown off the horse flipping over itself.

Sansa gasped watching Jon roll his shoulders so Rickon landed on top of him, taking most of the impact for the boy. A moment later they were standing. Ghost stood on his haunches, growling.

Tears were streaming down Rickon's face. "Jon," he sobbed.

With a glance toward the grinning Ramsay, Jon tore off his helmet and put it over Rickon's head. He grabbed Rickon's furs and nearly dragged him to the downed horse. Jon pulled the shield from the saddle and handed it to Rickon, making him hold it behind him and turning him toward his army.