Chapter 30

I woke up the next morning, exhausted. I was up too late doing my work. I rolled out of bed and got my robes out of my trunk. I went to the bathroom and got dressed. I brushed my hair out and finished getting ready. I went back upstairs and put my pajamas away. I was the only one up there, so everyone else must have woken up already. I went downstairs to the Common Room to see Harry and Ron sitting by the fire.

"Hello." I said to them, sitting behind them.

"Good morning." Ron said, sleepily.

"You two sound exhausted." Harry said.

"I had work to do all night." I said.

"I did too." Ron said.

We heard footsteps coming from the boys dorms, and I saw Fred and George come down the stairs. I waved at them and looked at the other boys.

"Where's Hermione?" George asked.

"I'm not sure." Ron said. "She wasn't down here earlier."

"She wasn't upstairs either." I said. "Maybe she went to breakfast already."

"Maybe." Harry said. "Let's head down."

"Yes!" Ron said, standing up. "I am so hungry."

We all left the Common Room, heading down to the Great Hall. The corridors were particularly quiet, so I assumed most people were at breakfast. I noticed my shoe was untied so I stopped and knelt down.

"I'll catch up in a minute." I said to the boys. "I'll meet you in the Great Hall."

They nodded and went down the corridor. I tied my shoe and checked the other one.

"Iris Black." I heard a voice say. I stood up and turned around to see the source; Dean Thomas.

"And what can I do for you on this fine day, Dean?" I said in a sarcastic tone.

"Oh, I was just wondering how your plot to destroy the school was going." He said.

"Is that really all you needed me for?" I said, annoyed. "If that's it I will be going." I turned to walk off when Dean grabbed my arm.

"Hey, you didn't answer my question." He said. I rolled my eyes.

"What is your problem?" I asked. "Last year before we went on holiday you had no problem with me being Sirius Black's daughter, and now you all of a sudden hate me? Why?"

"I've read about you," Dean said. "in the Daily Prophet. I didn't think you were like that. I wanted to believe you and be okay with you being Sirius Black's daughter, but with you being seen at all of these dark places, I couldn't be."

"I was never there!" I exclaimed. "All of that stuff written about me is rubbish! I was never in any of those places, and I have pretty tight alibi. And I would never, in my life, think of destroying the school. This school has been the best thing to ever happen to me. I met all of my friends here, I've made so many memories. I would never even think about ruining all of that!"

Dean gave me a disapproving look. "I can't believe that."

I sighed in defeat, then turned and walked away. Everyone thinks I'm a murderer. I thought to myself as I walked. I had just realized what people truly think of me. Even the people I was closet to last year don't believe me. And it was all because of whoever is framing me.

I made it to the Great Hall and slumped down in a seat next to Fred. Hermione sat across from Fred, George, and I with the other two boys.

"Hey Hermione." I said weakly. She gave me a puzzled look.

"What is it?" She asked me.

I looked up at the others to see they were all watching me, waiting for an answer. I explained what happened with Dean.

"Everyone thinks I'm out to kill them and their mothers." I said. "I mean, I knew that a lot of people weren't going to like me, but I have finally come to the realization that everyone thinks I'm evil, and that I can't be trusted."

Everyone looked at each other, and I down in my lap. I felt a hand go on my shoulder. I looked up to see George, his hand on my shoulder.

"We trust you." He said. "We know you for who you truly are. And we love you for it."

I looked around at the others, who all nodded in agreement. I looked at Fred, who was looking down at me. He smiled softly, and put his arm around me. I leaned into him as he rested his head on mine.

"I know you." He whispered. "We know you. You don't deserve this hate, but it's forced upon you. And if I could, I would do anything to take it away from you, but I can't. None of us can. Nothing we say or do can take this pain from you, but we will be here for you no matter what. No matter how many times you are framed and how severe the action was, we will never leave your side. We will be here for you, like you've been here for us. And I promise you, that I will never, in all of my life, leave you. I will always be here, whenever you need me. Okay?"

I nodded as I buried my head into his chest. I felt tears start to form in my eyes from his words. I looked up at the others, who were looking at me through eyes of sorrow. So much has been happening not just to me, but to them as well.

"Thank you," I said to them, choking back tears. "For everything. You all didn't have to come into my life, but you did, and I am so grateful for that. Without you, I don't know what I would do. You've gotten me through so much. You've given me so much, and I've given you so little in return. I'm so sorry."

Fred gently placed his fingers under my chin and turned my head to face him.

"Listen to me." He said sternly. "You've given us plenty. You can't say that you haven't given us anything, because you have. You've given us your love, and that's all we need."

"Iris," Hermione said. "We care about you more than anything. We would never let anything happen to you, and we will stand by you, no matter what."

I smiled at her, and looked at the others. "You all have changed my life for the better, and I can't thank you enough for it."

I looked at Fred, then whispered to him. "Can we go?"

He nodded softly, and let go of my shoulder. I stood up slowly from my seat, then said. "I need to grab a few things from the tower. I'll see you all in the lesson."

I started to walk away when I heard Fred said. "I'll accompany her, so she doesn't get into trouble."

I smiled at his silliness and waited for him to catch up. Once he did, we walked out of the Great Hall together.

"Do you really need something from the tower?" Fred asked me.

"No," I said. "I just wanted to be alone with you."

Fred smiled, and we walked to an empty corridor a little ways away from the Great Hall. We sat down in a windowsill, and I leaned into Fred as he wrapped his arm around me again. I rested my head on his shoulder, and he put his on mine.

"Everything is just so much nicer with you here." I said to Fred.

I felt Fred squeeze me in his grip, hugging me tightly to his body. I smiled at his actions, loving the feeling of his arm around me. It comforted me. The action told me that he truly was here to stay.