Snapping her fingers, the housekeeper had the unknown woman come closer to stand before her mistress. "This is Miss Jane Wilcott. She is to be your lady's maid."

It took a moment for the words to sink in and for Charity to greet the maid. For many years, she'd had to do without and never thought to have a personal servant again. It would be nice to have help with her hair at the very least she thought, recalling the current state of her rioting locks.

Suspicion suddenly clouded Charity's initial joy as a thought flitted into her head. Why had Lord Wrotham, for it must be he, hired the young woman? Did he think to place Miss Wilcott close to the wife he thought had cuckolded him to find further proof of her misdeeds? That he still believed Charity to be in contact with her fictitious lover was evident. It had been what they'd argued about before she'd been shot, after all.

As Mrs. Rogers led Miss Wilcott to the bed, Charity examined her. She was a few years younger and quite pretty. Her new lady's maid possessed the blonde hair and blue eyes Lord Wrotham seemed to favor.

With a slight shake of her head, Charity dismissed the uncharitable thought. Although she'd remain cautious, she'd not convict the young woman for crimes she hadn't yet committed.

After Mrs. Roger swiftly smoothed the bedding, Miss Wilcott, or just Wilcott now Charity corrected, laid the clothing out on her bed. The pretty maid noticed her watching their actions and beamed. "Lord Wrotham sent his valet to order you a new wardrobe. These are but three of the dresses we finished for your ladyship."

Frowning, Charity thought she hadn't been abed for that long. Mind clearing, she realized these must have another's commission. Uncharitably, she hoped they'd come from Miss Middleford's order.

Wilcott held one up for inspection. It was a morning dress made of light blue muslin. The simple gown was light, airy and easily more beautiful than anything Charity had previously owned. "It is lovely," she said after it became apparent the other two women expected some comment. They must have been the right words, for broad smiles wreathed their faces.

Laying down the blue dress, Wilcott picked up a primrose yellow day gown made of silk from the bed. Although beautiful, Charity couldn't help feeling it was a bit much for the country. Truth be known, she'd never owned anything so beautiful. Twin, expectant faces yearned for another comment. "This too is lovely," she murmured.

"Here is the last." Wilcott carefully laid the yellow dress down and picked up the only one remaining. This one was more of an ivory and blush pink, sprigged muslin. The color wasn't near as bold as the day gown, yet it was still lovely.

"Which shall you wear today, my lady?" Wilcott asked after smoothing the muslin out beside the silk.

Charity was tempted to choose neither and to don one of her old dresses instead. Although she might not yet know Lord Wrotham's game, she knew he played one. Were she to go along with his plot with her eyes wide open, perhaps he'd reveal his plan. As long as she didn't spring the trap he laid, all would be well.

Sighing, Charity had to admit the new clothes were lovely. Moving toward the bed, she assured herself it was the least Lord Wrotham should provide for his Viscountess. The timing of it all was suspicious, but that wasn't the fault of the dresses. They deserved to be worn.

Biting her lower lip, Charity decided to wear the sprigged muslin. A knock sounded on the door, and Mrs. Rogers went to answer. The housekeeper left with the footmen after they placed a hipbath and buckets of steaming water in the middle of her room.

With her new maid's help, Charity bathed. It was a quick, no-nonsense washing yet she felt refreshed afterward. With action and warm water, it seemed the laudanum was leaving her system.