An Uncomfortable Audition

Start from the beginning

My friend told me I should audition. He thinks I should get out more.

NELSON

Ok.

Nelson CHECKS something off on a paper in front of him. He glances down Claire’s application.

NELSON (CONT’D)

It says here that you work at a comic book shop?

CLAIRE LE MAYES

I do. But what I would really like is to start a charity giving out comic books to low-income children. You know, a lot of kids who wouldn’t normally read would read a comic book. It could help increase reading comprehension in neighborhoods where--

NELSON

That’s very interesting. How would you describe your dream man?

Claire shrugs. It’s not something she’s given a lot of thought to.

CLAIRE LE MAYES

Quiet, sweet, enjoys staying in and watching a movie.

NELSON

Claire, I think you might do well on The Man of Your Dreams. I’ll give you a call, ok?

Claire looks as if she’s about to speak, but The Woman in a Suit peeks in from the other side of the partition.

WOMAN IN A SUIT

This way please, ma’am.

Claire gets up and follows her out. Jesse waits for her on the other side.

JESSE

How’d it go?

CLAIRE LE MAYES

I have no idea.

EXT. OUTSIDE THE MALL – LATE AFTERNOON

Nelson is on his phone, while he flags down his driver.

NELSON

Hey David. How’re you doing?

DAVID VERDIN(V.O.)

I’ve been better.

Nelson gets into the back seat of the car.

NELSON

Listen, I think we found our girl.

INT. DAVID’S OFFICE – AFTERNOON

David, who had his feet up on his desk while sorting through bills in his lap, sits up.

DAVID VERDIN

That’s great! What’s she like?

NELSON (V.O.)

Smart, works in a comic book shop, and interested in the sort of man who’s your exact opposite.

David shoves the bills into his desk drawer.

DAVID VERDIN

Make it happen, Nelson. I believe in you.

David hangs up the phone.  Behind him, on the wall are many certificate awards, “Inventor of the Year” and such, organized under plaques that state the year.  There are no awards under the past two years.  David picks up a pencil and starts to draw on a large sheet of paper on his desk.