― 𝐱𝐢. Blood & Glory

CHAPTER ELEVEN❝blood and glory❞

CHAPTER ELEVEN
❝blood and glory❞

IN THE MORNING IT HAD RAINED, FORETELLING THE EVENTS THAT WOULD FOLLOW THAT NIGHT. A gloomy presence sat over all the students in the Great Hall as they ate their dinner, melancholy which confused them as they did not know where this great sadness had its origin. All except for two, who sat at different tables and ate their dinner as if they did had not received the signal for it to happen that night.

She peered at their faces, the students which she surrounded herself with and mimicked for her own safety, seeing the frowns that coated them and the slumping shoulders as they too felt some weight in their chest they did not know the reason it belonged. Later, who someone told the story of the night, told them the chain of events, they would forget this moment. A simple dinner where everyone felt a weight would be forgotten, no one piecing together the mood with the events that followed because their brain did not see the importance, except for her.

Usually, laugher filled the air or at least much louder talking, yet tonight the room remained quiet, hushed whispers and silent giggles, as if they knew that this time was no laughing matter. The wolf in sheep's clothing looked away from her peers and to the professors table, to the middle of it where the headmaster sat.

He knew the importance of the night; he had sent out the signal to her and foretold her and her partner that everything happened that night. This night marked the death of Headmaster Albus Dumbledore, yet he smiled at McGonagall and sipped at his soup as if it were any regular night.

Maybe because everyone else perceived it to be, no one else knew the importance and wouldn't until they heard the shrill laughter of Death Eaters and the proclamation of his death. Maybe it was because he had grown accustomed to the thought of dying and had time to come to peace with it, knowing well for a year that the school year ended with his death. He knew what was to come, he had made the decision for it to be that night, and yet he was living it as if there would be a tomorrow on earth for him.

She looked down at her hands in shame. This what a part of their agreement; this was her mission assigned from the Dark Lord himself and it always had to end this way. She had known this day would come since summer when he had assigned it to her and her partner, she had known that it was going to be that exact day since morning when she found the paper on her bedside table. The slip saying nothing more than tonight in the Astronomy tower which had caused her stomach to plummet as she knew what the events of tonight would lead to.

Her head moved up as her eyes landed on her soup. She had to blend in, she had to act as if she was a hungry student and nothing more. She was not a murderer; she was not a Death Eater. So, she took her spoon and brought more of the broth into her mouth. She was a Gryffindor girl who did not know the importance of the night; she was innocent.