35. The One With the Turkey: Part 2

Alice's POV

"Well, you see...I really want--um," Gladys stammers.

"What?"

"I really need a place to stay...and I'm hoping you'll let me crash here for a while," she says nervously, playing with the ring on her thumb.

I turn to FP with an irritated expression on my face. His eyes widen--hoping I don't explode--is what I'm guessing is running through his mind. 

"FP--let's go talk."

I grab his arm and pull him into the den, shutting the door behind us.

"Are you freaking kidding me, FP?!?" 

"Hey--babe, I never told her she could stay. I said I'd run it by you and it was up to you," he says, resting his hands on my shoulders.

I sigh, "Honey, do you not realize that a human being is about to blast out of my body at any given moment!?" 

He chuckles at the analogy, which just makes me more upset.

"I'm serious!! I do not need Gladys lurking around the house while I'm trying to adjust to having a newborn again!"

He pulls me close to him, which makes me huff in annoyance. "Babe, it's fine. I can tell her to find somewhere else to stay."

"Good!" I exit the room without another word. 

We go into the living room to find Gladys with the twins, playing hide and seek with them. They find her behind the couch and giggle with excitement when they see her. 

"Oh, no! You found me!" 

"Found you!" they giggle. "Horsey!" Juniper announces.

Gladys smiles and gets down on all fours, "Alright, alright, saddle up."

They climb onto her back and she crawls around the living room, while the kids scream and giggle like crazy. 

"Oh for the love of God--" I say under my breath and turn around to see FP smirking. 

"You think this is funny? How funny do you think sleeping on the couch tonight is, huh?" I counter.

His smirk turns somber and he shakes his head no. We turn our attention back to Gladys and the kids. She pops her head up and flashes me a smile, "Hi."

I roll my eyes, "I thought you hated kids?"

"Um, I do--but not these ones. They're precious."

I know exactly what she's doing and it's annoying the hell out of me. To make things worse Juniper leans forward and kisses the top of Gladys' head. Everyone 'awes' and I just groan. 

"Okay--I swear I did not tell her to do that," she says through laughter. 

"Do you promise not to annoy me?"

She nods vigorously, "Duh." 

"And you won't do anything illegal while your here?" 

Gladys rolls her eyes, "I won't even run a red light. Scout's honor," she says sarcastically.

"Gladys, I'm serious--"

"I won't do a damn thing! I'll be quiet as a mouse," she bats her eyelashes. 

I look to FP and then back at our leather-clad babysitter, "Alright. You can stay for a little while. The basement is all yours--within reason."