Oh how the tides have turned

Just a slight note for the story from here on out if you see italicization for dialogue it is telepathic conversation "Just like this" Big hugs 🤗

Chapter 3

Nicolae gives Lorie one of his "I'm highly displeased with you" looks, while she tries her best to look angelic.

"Well that certainly explains quite a bit", I put forth in an order to alleviate the tension. "Lorie sweetie, you can't do that in front of people, you're lucky that our family has its own gifts."
At this they all give me an inquisitive look.
I clear my throat and take a deep breath, "We are a family of empaths with varying degrees and aspects of the gift. Our whole family line is like that."
"And I've seen enough odd things in life to know there's more than just what we see in life."

Nicolae with his usual self-control, " We don't let people outside of the family know what we are or what we can do. Lorie was very wrong in doing what she did." Turning to Lorie "You could have endangered us doing that, you had no way of knowing Moira would not have turned us over to the Templars."

"Beg your pardon", I interrupt, "but who are the Templar's?"
"That's a conversation for another time as it's very lengthy, just know this town has many unforeseen enemies for those termed supernatural." At this Nicolae stands and begins to head for the front door, "Let's go home now, and Lorie you only get 1 book at bedtime tonight for your stunt."
I swear her eyes watered so much you thought Nicolae said he'd kill her dolls, except knowing Lorie she'd ask if she could help. Sometimes I wonder what happened in her past to make her thus.

With their secret out to my family, and ours to them, we had a week or so of some slight tension. And yet we became closer than ever because of our differences from the mainstream population. It was almost as if our 2 families merged into 1, quite similar to those tv shows/movies/books where a group of friends become a family unto themselves.

With how close our families have become, ever vigilant Nicolae, started taking measures to ensure the safety of his small clan. He started using his abilities to peek into my head, and realized I've met with telepathy before, so 90% of my thoughts are shielded. All he mostly gets is the music I listen to and occasional loud thoughts, I don't contain.

On a nice warm spring day near the end of school year, as we are at a playground to let the children blow off steam, I catch on to someone peeking in my mind. Once done that is a feeling that has a distinct touch to it, and I had a sneaking suspicion it was Nicolae. I caught out Nicolae with a few well placed "loud" thoughts while playing with the children.
The loudest thought was "Oh no Aileen is falling off of the top of the tallest slide platform!"
To which he races over to catch her and she's actually over on the swings. Hahaha gotcha laddie!

I laugh with glee at the situation, making him smirk a bit, and the girls come skipping and running over to be apart of whatever has made me laugh so hard.
"What's so funny mummy?"

"Why are you laughing and crying at the same time? How do you do that? Is that a weird human trick?" No explanation needed for who THAT was.

"Never you mind dears, now run along and play before we head home for supper."
With tears running down my face I head back to the park bench I had just left during the joke on Nicolae, laughing so hard my ribs hurt, and guess who joins me to scold me...yep Nicolae.
"That was not very kind of you Moira, why would you do that?"

"Well mister high and mighty, why would you constantly intrude upon another's thoughts? Why not just ask questions like most do?"

"Because humans are forever being deceitful, and if I can read their minds I can usually get to the truth and avoid any problems for us."

"Very valid point, and I do apologize, however if I had asked if you were reading my mind I know you'd deflect my question." At this he barely nods.
"Can you speak telepathically or just read minds?"

Humph he grunts as he says in my head "I can do both."

"Perfect! Perhaps you can teach me how to better project a thought. Can you imagine the conversations we can have in silence? Oh how perfect that would be for Heather's 7th birthday party this summer!
That is if you'd be willing to help me plan it for the children, I could use your help Nicolae."
A dubious look and raised eyebrow tell me I should probably be a bit more sweet. "Please Nicolae, I could use some help to make it fun for my children and Lorie."

At this mister stand in patriarch slightly smiles and projects "Of course, we do need to plan together and as quietly as possible. Lorie would spoil everything for Heather before the day if she heard us. Just don't mention anything to my brothers, or they will do the same and I'm sure Drogo would irritate you endlessly."

And so the telepathy becomes almost an inside joke between us.
Drogo and Peter don't fully realize how Nicolae and I are able to get so much done with minimal talking. But it does not take them long to suspect Nicolae and I carry on non-verbal conversations.

A few weeks before Lorie's sister from another mother, Heather's, birthday party we are enjoying a sleepover at the Bartholy's. The children are in one of the sitting rooms, with a pleasant fire going in the rather large fireplace, all snuggled up in sleeping bags watching a cartoon and eating popcorn. Except for Lorie, she just snuggles that rather creepy looking bunny doll that well has been dismembered at some point as evidenced by the stitches that mend it.
"I'll stay and watch the children tonight, until your insomnia hits and then you can take over. It usually hits about 3 or 4 am right?"

"Yes, vampires don't sleep?"

"We do, we just don't need more than a couple hours every few nights. We might sleep just to help pass the time, but when we dream it can be an entirely different hell."

"I can imagine, living for hundreds of years, seeing how you've changed over all that time. I'm sure you don't always see the good times. How long can you guys live for?"

"Our Father, the man who made us into vampires, his name is Viktor, you would say he's been around since the dawn of time. He is what is considered an Original vampire, although nothing like the tv show with the same name. He's much worse. Not all of it his fault, some witch cursed him long before he made any of us."

"Oh my! What happened, if I may ask."

"I have never been able to get the whole story. I just know a witch fell in love with him and he broke her heart. So she cursed him, but to what extent I do not know.
Now you should go get some sleep before 3 am comes.
Have a good rest Moira."

"You too Nicolae, and thank you for being such a good friend."
I leave the sitting room and head for the staircase to go lay down in one of the rooms they generously prepared for me.

"Hey little mama, how about you come to my room for some nocturnal exercises? I'll wear you out in the best way."
"Fuck!!" "Drogo!!!"

"Nicolae!! Drogo has figured us out, as I'm sure if Peter hasn't he has now!"

"I knew it wouldn't last for too long. *Sigh* Just go to sleep, you'll never be rid of him now."

"Well if he could stop with the sexual stuff I'd be happy."

"Good luck with that, you know what a pain he is. I'd say ignore him but that's impossible."

Sighing I head to my room "go eat your own defecation Drogo"
If the children were asleep they aren't now at how loud Drogo laughed.