Chinese Lanterns

"Okay everyone. Take a corner." Zana's dad instructed us cheerily as he carefully opened out the love heart red Chinese fire lantern we where about to release into the sky. Zana, Erik, Chris and I each took a corner, holding it as high as our arms would let us. Zana and Erik stood on one side, having their own little convocation as normal. They had been dating for over a year and were totally wrapped up in each others company.

This left me and Chris. Looking from each other to the Lantern nervously as Zana's dad fiddled with the fire pad, trying to light it muttering to himself about wax leaks and bad packing. I smiled as Chris trying not to laugh.

"Okay kids." He finally said as the little pad burst into flames. "Now all you have to do is let the heat from the pad, heat the air in the lantern, so just keep it up high and when you feel it pulling away from you. Let go at the same time."

"Thanks Dad." Said Zana. "We got it from here." She smiled angelically at him hoping he'd chill out a little and let us do the lantern ourselves.

"Can you feel that?" I asked. "It's pulling away really hard."

"Yeah!" Chris murmured.

"OKAY! LET GO NOW!" Zana's Dad Yelled excitedly. As we did the lantern hovered slightly in the air, and almost began to sink. We all gave it a push upwards. And watched it rise smoothly into the clear summer night. The flame illuminated the bright read colouring so we could see it clearing as it the wind took it up. Slowly it began to move over the rooftops but it was high enough for us still to see it.

Zana and Erik stood a few feet in front of Chris and I.

"Wow." The red one really looks like a heart." I Whispered.

"That's the point." Zana Replied. She looked at Erik who put his arm around her and kissed his forehead. Then looked back into the sky. My heart sank slightly as I watched them have the most beautiful happiness.

My attention turned back to the lantern which was still floating high in the starlit sky. Without me noticing Chris had taken a step closer to me, so he was right next to me arms folded watching eyes set firmly on the Chinese lantern.

"It's so beautiful." The words left my mouth before I could stop them. But know one replied.

My arms began to get cold and my finger tips where going numb from the wind. But before I could move to warm them in my sleeves, I felt Chris's hand slid perfectly into mine. A rush of heat and excitement ran through me. I looked down at our hands and smiled to myself. When I looked back up again, the lantern had disappeared with the breeze.

"Dad? Could we do another? Please." Zana Smiled up at her father.

"Okay darling but just one more, its getting late and I do actually need these remember." He gave a little chuckle as he went in it the kitchen through the double glass doors, to get another.

"Zana, come and choose another colour then."

"Alright one second. Come on Erik. You can choose this one." And they to disappeared into the house.

Chris turned to me, a smile covering his whole gorgeous face. I looked up at him, curious as to why he was smiling so much but before I could speak he had put one arm around my waist and the other around my shoulders, pulling me in close as to hug me. He then put one hand on my chin and lifted it so I was looking his straight in the eye. His Smile had gone and was replaced by a look of hope and wonder. With in the second his lips touched mine sending a spark straight to my heart. I let myself melt into him. The hand round me waist pulling me closer, the other that had been on my chin ran though my hair and down my neck. I was covered with goose bumps. Even though I never wanted this moment to end, I pulled away from him and looked back up into his eyes.

"How do you guys feel about a blue one?" Erik's voice came from inside the house. I jumped away from Chris thinking that someone might come outside and see us.

"Sure, Blue sounds epic." I smiled to him nodding. Chris took a step away from me, smiling at Erik to. When Chris stepped back from me, I felt an odd feeling in the pit of my stomach.