Best friend before boyfriend

I'm sitting on the school bus, staring out the window. I play with a lacy black ribbon tied around my wrist. I always have weird ribbons on my wrist rather than bracelets. Whenever I find a cool looking ribbon I just cut a little off and tie it around my wrist.

It's a trend that I started with my Best friend Trent. Obviously he doesn't use ribbon. He uses any type of thin rope he can find. He's even used shoelaces in the past.

Yesterday had been my birthday and Trent had bought me a small package of beautiful black ribbon, which was the kind I had on my wrist now.

So far, being sixteen didn't feel too horribly different other than the fact that my parents where okay with me dating now. But that wasn't too different because I didn't really want to go on dates yet. Except for with one person, but he would never ask me out. He was my best friend.

I sigh and continue riding in silence. Finally the bus gets to Trent's stop.

He gets on and smiles when he sees me. he slides in next to me.

Even though I have other feelings for him, I cant help but feel fearful for the friendship we share. And our friendship is more important to me than my feelings for him.

"Hey Scar" he smiles.

I roll my eyes. "You make me sound like some kind of demented villain. Why don't you just call me Scarlet?"

His deep green eyes look into mine. "I don't know, I just think Scar suites you better."

He nervously pushes his light brown hair back, and looks away.

When we get to school I feel him pull my hand and guide me to our 'hideout'.

Our hideout was just an area underneath the stairs that nobody really went to. When either of us were having a bad day or if we just wanted to talk alone that's where we went.

"Trent!" I laugh as he pulls my hand. "Why are you bringing me here?"

He looks at me nervously. "I uh, I had another part if your gift I wanted to give you."

He reaches into his bag and pulls out a small velvet pull string bag. he hands it to me.

I gently open it up, and gasp when I see whats inside.

It's a beautiful silver charm bracelet.

"Wow" I say softly. "Trent, this is the best gift ever"

He grins "I wanted to get you something to go on your wrist that would last longer and not fray"

He's so sweet. I can't take it anymore I pull his head down and kiss him. I'm about to pull away when I realize something. He's kissing me back!

After a moment we pull apart.

"You where wrong" he whispers.

"About what?"

He looks into my eyes. "You just gave me the best gift ever."