Chapter 24

Rose said a hushed 'Bye' to him and put her phone away. Alec was still holding his phone, wondering what the hell had just happened. Who did Harkness think he was, trying to get to Rose this way? He got his jacket, meaning to go see her father and Ellie was about to stop him when she saw the look on his face.

"Going somewhere?" she asked, standing in the doorway.

"Out of my way Miller, I am not in the mood for your endless questions."

"Is this about Rose again?"

"Yes, now out of my way."

"Don't do anything stupid about Harkness."

"Miller, the mood I am in, stupid does not even come into it. Do you know what he tried to do?"

Ellie had no idea but she could guess Tyler's nemesis was trying to get to him through Rose and using Hardy to get to her, to leave the way clear for him, whatever his plans were.

"No but I can see you're going to try something stupid – Sir."

"If by going face to face with Harkness again, then yes, call it stupid if you want, he is not getting away with this. Close the door behind you."

She watched him walk out, shaking her head. If he wasn't careful, he'd be the next one she would be visiting in the hospital. Alec made his way to the arcade, Mickey seeing him enter but too late to do anything as Alec knocked on the door. Pete opened it.

"I wasn't expecting you today, is this about our phone conversation?"

"Yes, Rose just told me. Where is Harkness staying?"

"I can do better than that, I can have him come here. If you want a piece of him then so do I."

"Rose asked me if I'd had an affair with Claire Ripley, the woman in the Sandbrook case."

"Yeah, I followed that. You arrested her along with her husband and their neighbour, a sad case."

"Yes, I made the mistake of trying to get her to turn on her husband, she thought it would protect her. She had nothing to do with my divorce, my ex wife was already cheating on me at that point."

"I don't need to know that Alec, you should be talking to Rose."

"No, I should be talking to Harkness, can you get him here, on his own?"

"No, they come as a pair but I can get Mickey to entertain the other one. Show him a new slot machine and he's anybody's."

Pete called the number he had for Jack. Jack was watching the sports channel when his phone rang.

"Tyler? Made your mind up already?"

Alec had told Pete not to say he was there.

"Come to the arcade, I have something to ask you."

"We'll be right there."

Alec had also told him not to say anything about coming alone. Pete called Mickey to the office.

"Right Mickey, this is your last chance to choose sides. Harkness will be here soon, keep Ianto entertained for us, Hardy and I want to talk to Harkness alone. Did that new slot machine get plugged in?"

"No, it's still being tested."

"Get it switched on and let him see it, it'll keep him amused for a while."

"Yeah and when it cheats him, he'll come down on me."

"Thought you liked getting into fights Smith?" Alec asked him, crossing his arms.