Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter Thirty-Two

Emily thought that it was a remarkably warm day for the start of winter.

In the heavens, grey clouds accumulated, littering the sky with the promise of rain to come, scattered by the wind. The sun only shone during rare, interspersed moments, peaking through the clouds like an inquisitive yet shy child.

It was during one of these reverred moments that she relished the feel of the golden rays against the skin of her face.

She did so now, lifting her cheeks for their carress, perched as she was on one of the stone benches that were placed amongst the rose gardens of the Weatherly's ducal seat in the country.

Sebastian had said that Emily and Sophie might prefer to spend the winter in the country. He had also insinuated, in private of course, that societal etiquette and rules were less stringent, allowing Emily and Sebastian more time spent in each other's company. A boon indeed, and one they had utilized to their advantage in the few short weeks they had been there.

Oh, but it was nice to be away from the city. The air was fresher, the pace much slower...

''I thought I might find you here,'' a beloved voice said from behind her.

Emily turned, a beaming smile pinned to her lips. Sebastian's boots crunched on the gravel path towards her as the sun caught in his dark locks, swept back neatly from his forehead. Today, his coat was a deep blue in hue, bordering black, to match the coat clasped about his broad shoulders. His tall form was garbed immaculately although there were traces of travel in the creases of his shirt and dark trousers.

''You're back!'' Emily said happily, coming to her feet.

It didn't take much incentive for Sebastian to sweep her into his arms and bury his face against the thick curls of her hair. His large hands spanned her back, wary of the injuries she had sustained just less than a month prior. His concern for her never failed to warm to her.

''God, I missed you,'' he mumbled against her neck.

''And I, you,'' Emily returned, relishing the strength of him as she entwined her arms around his neck. He felt so large in comparison, so strong and male. ''You returned early.''

Sebastian eased away from her, gently cradling her waist, and grinned down at her. There was a sheepish look on his face, a lightness about his blue eyes that eradicated all his shadows. There was a definite change in him, as if the world had become a magical place full of wonder. ''Lyons and Blackwood are perfectly capable of concluding matters in London. I was only pilfering Blackwood's brandy, anyhow. I do believe the man insisted I return to your side at once.''

''He did?'' At this, Emily raised a brow. Jason Blackwood was a notorious, albeit desirable bachelor. It was highly doubtful that he would champion marriage of his fellow comrades of like-minded dispositions.

''Mmm.'' Sebastian swung her about and settled on the bench so that her legs were placed over his own. ''In fact, I think he threatened to have me beaten if I didn't stop mooning about.''

''I see.''

''Best you do. You've made me an infatuated pup, you have.''

''Pup?'' She wrinkled her nose and considered him shrewdly. Although his mood was rather boyish and endearing, there was nothing adolescent about Sebastian Weatherly. No, she inferred, he was all solid man, oozing virility and abundant charm. A warm thrill shot under her skin. ''I hardly think you're that bad,'' Emily mumbled, her eyes inexplicably drawn to his sinful lips.

He sensed the change in her immediately and a grin curled the corners of his mouth. ''None of that now,'' he teased. ''Sophie has allotted me precisely thirty minutes alone with you before she interrupts. Why the infernal woman decides to adopt an offended sensibility now when the deed has already been-''