1: The Interview

Here's the first chapter. I hope you all enjoy it. Don't forget to comment and vote.

Alijah sat in the waiting room a bit impatiently. She'd been there since eight o'clock and it was now going on eleven. Had she not really needed a job she would have left an hour ago. Thirty minutes after her scheduled interview time.

For the hundredth time, she found herself looking at her watch. She was tempted to just get up and leave, but after having no luck on yesterday's job search, or the day before that and her other two interviews being a bust, at no fault of her own, she needed this job, so she had to stay.

Since she moved to Colorado, she simply seemed to be down on her luck. She had been staying with her friend Lawrence, and she was more than tired of mooching off of him. Alijah had never considered being someone's personal assistant, but there she sat waiting to be called into her interview. This was truly a testament of how badly she needed a job.

She had always wanted to be a painter, she'd studied art at college and graduated with her bachelors, but she knew upon taking up that major that the road she traveled to fulfill her dreams would not be an easy one.

"Ms. Douglas, Mr. Cayman will see you now."

The sound of the voice brought her out of her thoughts. She looked to her right to see a slender, blonde woman looking at her expectantly. Rising from her seat, Alijah followed the woman as she led the way into the office.

The first thing she noticed was brown hair and a voice like velvet that caressed her. That voice she noted however was also angry. The blonde motioned to one of the seats and Alijah took it as the woman left out of the room. She was then left to listen to Mr. Cayman, as he had be called, finish his conversation and again she noted he wasn't too happy.

"Resume." He stated and his voice jolted her. Alijah hadn't known that she had spaced out. Pulling her resume from the manila folder she held, she handed it to him.

She sat in silence as he looked it over, and she knew it wouldn't take him long. She'd only worked a handful of jobs. Her longest being the four years she attended college, when she worked as a secretary, a job she hated, yet it kept extra money in her pockets. No matter how much she despised it however, here she was again, in almost the same position.

"I see you were a secretary for quite a while. What happened with that job?" Alijah looked up at him and his hazel eyes locked with her green ones.

"I moved." She replied simply. He said nothing and glanced back down at her resume.

"It says here that you minored in culinary arts." Alijah nodded. "That may come in handy."

Silence befell them again, and Alijah began to nibble on her bottom lip, something she only ever did when she was nervous. Finally Mr. Cayman sighed and leaned back in the high back chair, his eyes leveling on her.

"You're hired."

Alijah nodded her head slowly. "Okay, when do I start?"

"Tonight," Mr. Cayman began grabbing a card from his top drawer. "All of your belongings can be moved tonight, and what you don't need can be put into storage. I'd like to get an early start tomorrow and..."

"Wait, wait, wait." Alijah stated cutting him off. "What do mean move my belongings?"

"You were aware that this was a personal assistant position, correct?" He questioned, raising a brow.

"Well, yes, but..."

"A twenty four hour personal assistant position."

Alijah let out a sigh of her own. That part she was not aware of. She had simply thought it would be like any other office job. Yet, she had to admit that she hadn't read the entire job posting. She just knew she needed to go for it. Now she regretted that she hadn't.