Chapter 14

It was a typical night at french court, almost a year since Francis' assassination and Charles and I's coronation as King and Queen of France and Persia. Charles and i were sat in the dining room, side by side, while we were being entertained by other nobles. Impulsively, i clutched my large abdomen, as a form of consolation and reassurance that my new baby continued to be alive and well inside of me. I had finally managed to carry a baby, after three failed attempts, for more than a couple of weeks and charles and i were waiting for the arrival of our newborn, who was expected to arrive any day.

I found myself inattentive that night, not being able to focus on any of the countless stories that the nobles were telling. Charles, on the other hand, seemed rather happy to sit there the rest of the night and be entertained, which is why he didn't bat an eyelid whenever i excused myself for the night, complaining of back pain and tiredness. However, i had actually spotted Nostradamus, the castles seer, in the distance nodding towards me, prompting me to meet with him. We had become well acquainted with court as my list of friends grew smaller and smaller by the day, as well as the list of people that i could trust, as my mother was no longer on that list.

"Follow me." I said as beckoned him to an isolated room.

I stood inches apart for him, nerves apparent in my movements.

"Please, tell me that my child is safe. I know Charles chooses not to believe in your prophecies, but i do. All i need to know is whether my child will be born healthy." I asked, tears escaping my eyes.

Nostradamus had a strange look, a mixture of hope and pity. What a strange combination, i thought to myself.

"Yes, your child will be born safely and will remain healthy. You have nothing to worry about." He said and stopped, as if he wanted to continue but stopped himself before he could. I brushed it off and chose not to say anything and instead thanked him and motioned him a goodbye, which was returned.

I made my way back out into the hallway and to my chambers. Something about his demeanor was off, but i chose to ignore my instincts. It was probably nothing.

I returned to my room and after a few minutes of me sitting in front of the fire trying to warm myself up, i felt a sharp pain in my lower stomach and cried out.

My ladies hurried into the room and gathered around me.

"What's wrong, Delara?" elena questioned with a worried look on her face.

"She's in labour. Cindy, go get some towels and a fresh bucket of water. Sahara, you can go alert the Midwives that her majesty is in labour. Elena, let Charles know that he's about to have an heir." Naya stated, firmly but with a proud smile on her face.

Once they helped me onto my bed they were off, completing the tasks set for them. Cindy and Elena shortly returned with towels and the two midwives, as well as a bucket of warm water which Naya used to soak one of the towels to put across my head. A short while after that elena returned, without Charles by her side.

"Where is he?" I asked, annoyed.

"He... he said he'd visit you once the baby was born." Elena replied with a sullen look on her face. I could tell she felt sorry for me and I couldn't stand it.

"No time to focus on him. This baby is coming now" one of the midwives stated.

"On the count of three, give your biggest push- one, two... three!" She said as i began to push.

It was the most agony i had ever felt in my life, but i knew it would be worth it. After about an hour of excruciating pushing, the loud cries of an infant filled the room. The initial looks of happiness on everyones faces in the room disappeared and we're replaced with looks of anxiety, in a now silenced room. I knew what must have happened, but I didn't want to believe it. My luck couldn't possibly be this bad.

"Your majesty, it's... a girl." Naya said, cradling the infant in a blanket she had just wrapped her up in. After a second of hesitation, I reached my arms out and Naya handed her to me. I felt a tear roll down my left cheek. She wasn't what we anticipated- Charles wanted a son, someone who could rule the country. Nonetheless she was perfect; i fell in love with her the moment i laid my eyes on her.

"Should i let his majesty know?" Naya asked, unsure of what to do in the situation.

"Yes, yes, go get him. There's no avoiding this so he may as well find out now." I replied.

I had a small smile on my face, but everyone could tell that i was worried. I didn't know how Charles would react.

About ten minutes later, Naya returned to my chambers, followed by an excited looking Charles.

"Well, wheres my son!" He excitedly asked, as everyone else in the room bowed and left.

"Your... daughter is right here." I said, with a hopeful smile on my face. I was terrified. I just wanted to make him happy and proud, but i felt like i failed him.

His cheerful expression dropped for a second, as he stopped in his tracks.

"A daughter?" He asked.

"Yes. I thought we could name her Marie." I replied with a smile.

After a couple of agonizingly long seconds, he finally spoke up.

"I think i like Marie." He answered, returning my smile and moving towards my bedside. It felt as though a huge weight was lifted off my chest.

"Its not a son, but i don't care. I'll love her the same." He stated and ran his hand across my forehead and through my damp hair.

At that moment i felt incredibly lucky, as not many womens husbands would be as understanding as he.