Pippa

I don't know what I said wrong.  Suddenly, Isabel was out of her chair and running out the door.  By the time I registered what had happened and gotten to the door, she'd already turned the corner and was gone.  I frantically ran around the neighboring blocks calling her name.  Nothing.  I searched for almost half an hour before finally calling Lin.  I'd lost his niece.

"I don't know where she went, Lin," I told him frantically, still walking around looking.  "And she doesn't have her cell phone."

I'd dreaded calling Lin.  We were already concerned enough about Isabel.  Now she was on the run.  She'd boarded a plane to Puerto Rico before.  There was no telling what she'd do.

"Shit," I heard him mutter.  "Luna!"

I could picture him frantically gathering their things.

"Where are you now?"

I told him and he said he'd take the girls to his parents' so he could help search.  We hung up and I continued looking.  I stopped inside stores and asked workers if they'd seen her.  No sign of her.

Two hours passed and we couldn't find her.  Lin contacted the police but they couldn't yet classify her as missing.  They suggested checking in with shelters to see if she'd gone to one.  It was starting to get dark.  At least she had her own house key and she had a MetroCard.  That also worried me.  She could have gone anywhere.

Lin and I split up, dividing up the shelters in New York City between us.  Everywhere we went there was no sign of her.  Finally, I suggested that I go home to see if she might be there.

I got home and the house seemed empty.  It was usually full of life with three girls, but it was dark and quiet.  I called out Isabel's name and checked her room; checked the whole house.  I collapsed on the couch, feeling horrible.  What had I said?  It felt like it was my fault because I must have set her off somehow.

My phone buzzed with a call from Lin.  "They found her," he said, and my body felt instant relief.  The police had seen her wandering all the way down in Manhattan and picked her up.  After questioning her, they'd finally gotten her to tell them where she lived.  Lin said he was heading home.  His parents would bring the girls home in an hour or so.

The police arrived with Isabel before Lin got home.  Isabel looked drained and broken.  Her hair was a mess.  I instantly cupped her face in my hands, looking into her glassy eyes.  "Isabel.  Are you okay?"

She nodded wordlessly, looking numb.

"I tried to ask her about what happened," the officer chimed in.  "She wouldn't tell me anything."

I hugged her tightly, feeling my eyes watering.  She was home now.  That's all that mattered.  I pulled backed, taking Isabel's hand.  I shook the officer's hand with the other.

"Thank you so much for bringing her home," I told him.  "We were worried sick."

"My pleasure," he tipped his hat.  "You folks have a good evening."

I pulled Isabel into the kitchen and poured a glass of water.  "Isabel, you terrified us," I told her.  "Are you sure you're okay?"

She just nodded, standing there silently.  I brought her the glass and gave it to her.  She stared at it for a few moments, then brought it to her lips.  She took one small sip.

"Have you eaten?" I asked her.  She shook her head.

I got her to tell me she'd eat a sandwich, so I fixed her one.  She sat at the bar and slowly ate.  I kept a close eye on her.  She didn't look hurt, but I wondered if she'd tell me right now.  When she was about halfway through her sandwich, Lin walked through the door.  He laid eyes on his niece and immediately rushed to her.  Lin put his arms around her tightly as she sat.  He was shaking.