Episode 13-The Bunker

Start from the beginning

The girls sat in silence for nearly an hour after that.  Luckily for Sal, Evelyn had slept through all the bickering. She had enough on her plate with Nancy and the others. She didn't need her baby sister giving her trouble, too.

Destiny hadn't said anything since the drive started. She was in a world of her own, mesmerized by the zooming landscapes outside. The view allowed her to escape the squabbles of her sisters and the gravely voice of the man named Dean. He scared her. His green eyes may have been light in the sun, but there was darkness behind them. 

Destiny had a bad feeling about Dean. She had a way of reading people, a sixth sense for lack of a better term. Usually, her power manifested on its own, but right now she was forcing it to come forward. The energy she felt coming off of Dean was unlike anything she had felt before. He was hostile and on edge. Destiny could tell he didn't like her and her sisters, so she made a mental note to be cautious around him. Sam's energy, however, was a bit lighter. He seemed to be more relaxed. 

Sam must have sensed Destiny's gaze because he turned around to look at her. The way his soft hazel eyes crinkled at the edges when he smiled made her heart dance, and for a moment she actually felt safe in that car.

About ten minutes later, Dean pulled over to the side of the road. The engine sputtered to a halt. Dean unbuckled his seat belt and slid out of the Impala. Sam did the same. The girls waited awkwardly, unsure of what was going on. 

Sal prayed Nancy had made the right decision. She couldn't stomach the idea that her sister had been wrong about Sam and Dean. What if they weren't being hunted by someone? What if they  were the ones doing the hunting? Hundreds of possibilities of what these men could do to them shuffled through her mind like a deck of cards. Her heart hammered inside her chest where Evelyn's head rested. The other girls couldn't hear it, but to Evelyn it was an orchestra. 

The toddler gurgled as she awoke from her slumber. Her blue eyes roamed about the Impala.

"Don't worry, Evelyn," Sal said softly, mistaking her curiosity for anxiety. "Everything's going to be alright."

Sam crouched outside the window where Destiny was seated. He tapped on the glass gently. 

"You guys can come out," he said. "We're walking the rest of the way."

Sal watched Destiny hop out of the car with trepidation. She didn't like how quick the youngest triplet was to plant herself next to Sam. It was too early to tell whether he and his brother could be trusted, and Sal couldn't afford to let any of her sisters be influenced by childish crushes. 

Elizabeth got out next. Sal hesitated, so Nancy climbed over her instead of going out the other door just to annoy her. She grunted as she squeezed past, bending and twisting at strange angles so she wouldn't kick Evelyn in the face, then landed on the dirt road with both feet. Inhaling deeply, Nancy took in the delicious scent of food on the sea breeze. 

"I smell hot dogs," Nancy said, rubbing her hands together mischievously. "Does the wilderness always smell this good?"

"It's coming from the carnival," Sam explained. 

"What carnival?" Nancy asked. 

Sam hooked his thumbs through the belt loops of his jeans, hints of amusement at the corners of his mouth. "The one behind you."

Nancy's smug grin slowly fell as she turned around and saw that there was, in fact, a carnival. It stood on a boardwalk that stretched into the ocean. The bright morning sunlight washed out the lights of the carnival, but they would have looked brilliant at night. 

"Wow," Destiny breathed. "It's beautiful."

"It is," Sam agreed. "That's Caligari Carnival. It opens in a few minutes, so they're probably preparing the food machines. That's why you smell hot dogs, Nancy. We're not in the wilderness. We're just in the rural part of Santa Carla."