1. I'm in love, babe

Amber sat comfortably as the interviewer talked to her about her great love. She made funny faces and then her more serious and thoughtful side took over, as she said, "As children, we did what we did because we loved it. About five, six years ago, I was at a point where I was just starting off, but I had so many questions. I trained night and day for this, why am I not happy? Why is it empty? I think that is when I realised that I had lost that childlike faith in me. That's when I decided to re-learn to love things and take in every moment fully. In that way, I changed my perspective." Her thoughts wandered as she recognised a familiar voice that penetrated the clattering noise of the café.

On the radio, Eric Nam's soothing voice could be heard crooning in the background in Korean.

"I still love you, I'm just a little bit tired

I'm afraid I might hurt you

I'm not a nice guy, I'm just being selfish

Saying I still love you is a lie

You wanted an answer from the beginning

Like an ending of a movie you've already watched

You were getting more and more difficult for me

Like the perfect story you wanted."

Amber smiled she always enjoyed listening to his singing. When they were together as a group of friends, mainly other English speaking entertainers residing in Korea, it only took a couple of beers before he would break out into song. Thankfully, they were on a Snapchat streak which erased the geographical distance between them. She was so proud of him; in the first week, his album debuted at number six on the Billboard World Album charts.

The reporter cleared his throat and her brain snapped back to the present. 

She continued, "With work, it's a routine. It's a demand. There's a quota. There's all these numbers. But you know what? That's when it hit me. I fell in love with music because it gave me an escape, it gave me strength and it gave me confidence. Music is all about life's journey, the touch of something mystical and never losing that hope in your heart." She paused thinking deeply.

The reporter smiled, encouraging her to go on.

In the background, Eric's voice smooth like honey. Amber hummed along as she gathered her thoughts.

"I've thought about this time and time again

How you will be without me

Unkept promises of us

Nothing but meaningless words

You won't be able to bear the cruel goodbye

My lips wouldn't say the words even if I try."

"People at home are always asking me to stop prancing around and come back home but I tell them I'm going to do what I love and that's not a bad thing, right? My music video "High Hopes," is about following my instincts. You know my friend, Eric?" she asked staring expectantly into his eyes.

The reporter mumbled, "Eric Nam?" and pointed to the radio.

"Yes, him. He used to write songs that were healing but in this album he just wanted to be relatable-- to explore the more difficult conversations that can come up with love, breakups, heartbreak and the experiences that we go through. Me? When I first started writing, I wasn't writing so that my song would hit the Billboard. I was like I'm going to write whatever came my way. Whoever would take me, I wrote for them. It was like that for me at first. I was reaching out to producers. I wrote everywhere and I learned. Like in this song, and in general too....I'm not running towards any product. I'm running towards my overall journey. Luckily, I get to do it for the rest of my life," said Amber then with a little chuckle she added,".... hopefully."

The reporter nodded and thanked her, drawing the interview to a close.

The last strands of "Honestly" drew to a close as well. Amber harmonised perfectly with the voice of someone she loved on the radio.

"I loved you but now I'm tired

Baby I need you to say something say something

You know this is the end

Baby I need you to say something say something

Lying I love you

Lying I love you."

And at the end, when Eric voice faded off,  she added the lyrics of her own.

"Never turn back, never turn back."

Her tired smile widened as she thought of the early dinner gathering at his apartment before they live-filmed the Korean version of a celebrity talk show-- the After School Club. As always, they would probably have lots of fun on this throwback special.

_________________________

Hi hi, if you haven't heard the two songs I'm referring to, here they are:

High Hopes by Amber Liu

and Honestly by Eric Nam

You know Amber's opinion of the song, Honestly. Here's other responses and cute behind the scenes moments.

And Amber having fun with her friends from GOT 7