Chapter 43: Farewell Party

Start from the beginning

"They say you brought this flunky," Rosier extended his lips. "Well, our new spy. Avery now 'mentors' him."

"He can be useful," Sirius answered smoothly, not knowing at all who he was talking about, but vaguely recalling Lucius's recent companion whose face was hidden in the shadows.

"It's even disgusting to say his name, but it's up to you, Lucius."

Regulus approached them and everything inside Sirius lurched. His brother, the same curious boy, looked like a shadow of himself. Black suit, indifferent grey eyes and emotionless face.

"Lucius," he nodded curtly and shook hands with fake Malfoy. "You're holding up well."

Regulus looked at Lucius with respect. Black had never felt so bad. It would've been better if he had swallowed a dozen rotten toads than to look at his younger brother groveling before Malfoy.

When everyone expressed his admiration to Lucius, cracked a couple of nasty jokes and sipped wine, came the time for gossip.

"Have you heard?" Rosier asked quietly. "They say, Jacob is not so pureblood. That if he takes Snape's potion, he will go off the rails just like all the mudbloods."

They exchanged glances, but no one was in a hurry to pick up the discussion. The accusation of having mud blood was too serious to discuss it like this, but everyone was hungry for details.

"Do you have any proofs, Evan?" Sirius reasoned that it was time to cock an eyebrow as Malfoy always did expressing contempt.

"I don't know," Rosier shrugged and then smirked, "But if the potion accidentally falls into his hands, we'll find out right away."

Everyone, as if on command, looked at Lucius, and Sirius realized what they were waiting for – approval. If Malfoy doesn't express an obvious discontent, the gossip will gain strength, and it was clearly in his hands.

"Accidentally?" Sirius-Malfoy hemmed.

"You know how it is," Rosier grinned. "A drop here, a drop there."

Everyone smiled, nodding.

"But Snape is already working on the antidote, isn't he?" Regulus said.

"He is," Mulciber nodded, adjusting the golden rolex on his arm. "Except it doesn't work. After all, the potion that he created is not a poison. I think that Snape is wasting time."

"But he doesn't cook it for his own," Rosier remarked. "As unfortunate as this is. Everyone knows that he wants to save the mudblood Evans."

"Exactly. Even the Lord allowed her to stay alive. Unprecedentedly! They say it was incredible. Lucius, you were there?"

Sirius looked at them with an appraising glance, pondering. It was a huge amount of information. He had to simultaneously analyze what was said, remember everything, watch his own reactions and wizards scurrying around.

"Yes, it was extremely unusual," he answered woodenly, summoning surprised looks. He pursed his lips and said in an icy tone, "Do I look like a gossiping girl? Or do you want me to do the voices?"

"Excuse us, Lucius," Regulus smiled faintly. "Just an extraordinary case, we were intrigued."

"When you're honored to be present at the Lord's meetings, then you will learn everything first-hand."

Mulciber looked as if he had been snapped on the nose. Evan on the contrary bowed his head respectfully and Regulus repeated his maneuver. Suddenly, they all straightened up, casting off unnecessary emotions from their faces and bowing their heads, but not before Lucius.