Chapter 23 - Reunited

Scorpion's hooves caused a rhythmic sound on the stones of the paved path that led across the bridge to the faculty island of the Academy of Oxenfurt.

A flock of wild geese flew over the city, the calls of the birds overlapped by the sounds of the people who populated the nearby marketplace. Like the migratory birds, the Witcher had left his winter quarter, but his path led him from the north to the city at the Pontar.

Ever since he had left before dawn to reach Oxenfurt as early as possible, the prospect of seeing Thalia in just a few hours had filled him with euphoria and excitement. Again and again he had imagined the moment of their reunion, had tried to arrange words. But now that he had finally reached his goal, he felt the uncertainty again that had clouded his mood for several weeks.

He dismounted and led Scorpion on the rein to the gate. As expected, the guards scrutinized him critically, barely concealed disgust.

"Where is the Witcher going?", the left of the two men asked, without prefixing a greeting."My name is Eskel and I wish to speak to Professor van de Wintervoord."

He hoped that he was correct in his assumption and Thalia had meanwhile received her professorship.

"So, that's what he wishes. Does He have a reason for his visit?"

"It's about an assignment for the alchemical faculty," lied Eskel. If Thalia found it unpleasant to be associated with a questionable person like him, he wanted to keep her a plausible solution.

"Ah. Well then. Wait here. I send a messenger. If the professor wants to see you, she will send for you."

The guard stepped through the gate and evidently summoned a boy to deliver the message to Thalia. The remaining security guard did not let Eskel out of his sight. When the guard returned to the gate, he easily made a dismissive gesture. He did not seem to quite believe that the witcher's visit was actually welcome, and apparently was looking forward to sending him off in plain words.

Eskel took a few steps back and leaned against the parapet of the bridge that spanned the Pontar and connected the Academy to the main island of the city. The water glittered in the midday sun and flowed calmly towards the northern sea. At the moment, Eskel would have been glad if he felt this kind of peace for himself - but contrary to his normal serenity, his inner feelings were in turmoil.

On the one hand, the anticipation of seeing Thalia again dominated. In the past few months, no day - if he was honest with himself, not an hour - had passed, in which he had not thought of her and missed her. But along with the joyous expectation, doubt had settled in his mind. Was it naïve to believe they could simply pick up on their time together in Kaer Morhen?

The same thoughts that had been occupying his thoughts in recent weeks circled his mind again.Had the months that had passed since their departure changed something between them? Her farewell had been very emotional, but Thalia was basically a pragmatic, rational person.

What if the spatial and temporal gap had led her to see their relationship in a different light? If her reputation was too important for her to want to be seen with a mutant? If she had come to the conclusion that there could be no future for both of them together - he was a traveling witcher who lived from one contract to another, she was a respected scholar who frequented the upper class ... Would she be happy about his early arrival? Or rather surprised that she had to explain to him earlier than expected that their time together had passed and was only a pleasant memory now?

A sound behind the walls of the campus aroused his attention - quietly and inaudibly for the guards, yet unmistakably approaching. It sounded like the staccato of heels, the wearer hurrying down a flight of stairs, not caring how loud his footsteps echoed on the pavement.