Chapter 22 - In Secret

The prison of Oxenfurt was located just outside the city, on an island surrounded by the currents of the Pontar. Thalia had already left early to meet with the other professors at noon. She had not been able to focus on anything else anyway, too many thoughts were nagging at her.

On her way she had passed the houses, shops, and restaurants that she knew so well, identifying familiar faces among the people who met her on the way. Students she knew, traders she used to visit regularly. They all practiced their daily routine as usual. Their world was the same as it was the day before.

But for Thalia everything had changed. Her understanding of her profession, of the University, of her integrity - everything had been questioned yesterday with the announcement of Professor Basilius.

The more she approached the jail, the heavier her footsteps became. Everything in her was reluctant to be involved in these machinations. And yet, for the time being, she had no choice but to at least appear to pursue the same goal as her colleagues.

A cart overtook her on the cobbled street that led to the bridge over the Pontar. A transport of prisoners that sent more poor souls to their possibly last abode. The stone bridge was the only access to the prison, which was enthroned on the island in the middle of the river. An intimidating, cheerless structure of gray stone.

Thalia crossed the bridge. Two other professors had already arrived in front of the entrance gate. Yesterday, Marik Yonka and Vincent Laikos seemed not happy with the announcement of the new research order. But whether the two were also willing to add to the wishes of the Academy - and those of the King - was on a completely different page. Surely they would not risk open protest. But maybe they were ready to resist in secret?

Thalia wondered how she could find out, without giving away too much of her own attitude to the order.

"Greetings, dear colleagues." She walked over to the two professors, who had talked quietly together. "Not a pleasant place for a gathering, it seems to me ..."

"Certainly not." Marik Yonka, a lean middle-aged man, pressed his thin lips together and took a deep breath. "Professor van de Wintervoord, yesterday we did not fail to notice that you have similar reservations to this mission as we have ..."

Thalia's eyes widened. Apparently the two had noticed her reaction to the remarks made by Professor Basilius. Similar to how she had registered their mispleasure. Before Thalia could begin to voice her concerns, however, Professor Laikos began. "Professor ... Thalia. We've known each other for quite some time." The younger of the two men looked at her impressively. "During your studies, I met you as an ambitious scientist. With high principles. That's why I'm warning you: do not do anything that could attract the attention of the Academy or our clients. In the negative sense. Do you understand what I mean?"

Thalia swallowed. Apparently she couldn't expect any help from both of them, even though they shared similar views as she did.

"Yes, Professor Laikos. I understand..."

"I hope you are aware of what is at stake for you. It's not just about your academic career. So put your concerns aside and do your best. For your own good."

"The others are coming," warned Professor Yonka.Professor Basilius, Alric Efferen and the other members of the research group came across the bridge.

"I am pleased to meet you here," Professor Basilius began. "Well then, let's not waste time and talk to the guards. As far as I've heard, one of the infected people is in critical condition. Not that we're already too late ... "

---------------

The chief of the prison guards himself escorted the group through the narrow corridors. At regular intervals, torches cast a scant light on the visitors, some of whom were fascinated, some risked a look into the cells.