Courtesan of the Bamboo Palace

(A/N: credits to the artist for the fanart above <3)

"Hey, have you heard?"

"What? She's finally back?"

"Yes. Lady Wu!"

"The Courtesan of the Bamboo Palace – "

The people all parted when they heard the sound of the drums rolling. Their eyes went wide, filled with admiration when they saw the lady wearing black lined with red, sitting on the palanquin surrounded by the red, enticing silk curtains, as if welcoming you to open it and greet the one behind it.

There was a sudden parade when the people – men and women, old and young, followed the palanquin of the courtesan of the bamboo palace.

"Lady Wu." The maidservants said and bowed as Wei Wuxian passed by them.

Wei Wuxian just nodded, his gaze straight to the woman gently smiling at him, waiting. "Dajie." He said and bowed.

"A-Xian." Jiang Yanli said and patted his head.

Ever since Madam Yu, the greatest courtesan, killed herself after she heard Jiang Fengmian died in war, Jiang Yanli was the one who managed the two Courtesan Palaces – Bamboo Palace and Lotus Palace.

But, she didn't become a courtesan herself. Despite that, with the guidance of the trusted friends of Madam Yu – Madam Jin, Jiang Yanli made the two Courtesan Palaces prosper with Madam Jin managing the Lotus Palace.

"I am tired." Wei Wuxian said and lowered his head.

Jiang Yanli smiled, understanding. "Very well. That trip must have tired you – " she said.

Wei Wuxian raised his head, wanted to say something to her. But, Jiang Yanli just shook her head.

"Rest." She told him and told the maidservants to serve him a hot bath.

Wei Wuxian was about to leave when she called him.

"A-Xian." She called. "We have two familiar friends tonight." She told him.

Wei Wuxian looked at her. She said 'friend', not 'customer'. That means, it's their acquaintance from before.

"Dajie..." he called, worried.

She smiled. "Don't worry." She said. "They're fine. Just pour them drink and it'll be okay." She told him and left.

Wei Wuxian didn't nod and just lowered his head. After a while, he went to his room and took a fresh bath.

"Who could it be...?" he muttered and looked at the dark night sky outside.

The sky is clear and the moon is bright. The stars are shining like diamonds, making the night sky brighter.

"I just wish I'll be fine." he said and sighed as he closed his eyes.

"Ugh – " he groaned and stood by the door, frozen, when he saw who it is. Lan Zhan?! He thought, shocked, when he saw the man wearing snow-white and crease-free robes.

Like a white jade illuminated by the bright moon in the sky, an unsullied and pure character. He thought and smiled.

The maidservant lifted the silk curtain as he entered. "I'm surprised to see you here." He said.

Lan Wangji slowly raised his head and looked at him, his face unreadable. Well, as always. Wei Wuxian thought as he remembered how the two of them were way back when they were young.

If only Jiang Fengmian, as well as Madam Yu, didn't die... he thought and lowered his head, his face dark as he sat across Lan Wangji. He's willing to do everything just to pay back his mistakes to the Jiang family, that is why he's working as a courtesan now.