Chapter Six - Surprises

It was early the next morning that Shellington next came into the HQ. Dashi was sitting at her desk at her usual spot. As Shellington approached she turned to give him her usual sunny smile.

"Hey Shel."

"Hi Dashi." Shellington wondered what to say next to her. "Erm... you know you said you could give me another lesson soon? Well, erm, I'm not doing anything this morning, so, er..."

Dashi gave him a even wider smile. "Oh Shellington I'd love to! But -"

Shellington' s heart sank at that last word. She didn't want to!

"But I promised that I'd get this paperwork done this morning. Can we do it tomorrow instead?" Her face was sad and so worried looking about his response. Shellington felt instantly relieved. She did want to, she just couldn't. Plus a day would give him time to plan ahead for what to do.

"That's fine Dashi. Tomorrow then."

Dashi flashed him a grateful grin.

"Thanks for understanding Shels. I promise I'll help tomorrow." She spun around again on her chair and went back to her work. Shellington slipped in beside her thanking the gods that there wasn't anyone else in the HQ right then. Dashi always got up really early to start work and Shellington wanted to catch her before anyone else got up. As he thought that, there was chatter behind him and he saw the Captain, Kwazii and Peso coming up on the lift conversing. The Vegimals jumped up through one Octo Chute and in the corner Tweak climbed up the ladder. The HQ was instantly a bustle of activity. The Captain came over to where Dashi was busily working and she flashed him a quick smile.

"Hey Dashi. Anything on the radar this morning?"

"Nuh uh, Captain," Dashi shook her head cutely.

"You're up early, Shellington," noted Barnacles.

Shellington tried to keep the embarrassment off his face. "Yeah," he murmured, looking away. To his right Dashi gave him a secret smile and Shellington smiled back. The Captain didn't seem to notice their unspoken conversation and turned away to greet the approaching Professor. Shellington felt a nudge at his leg and looked down to see Tunip smiling at him (at least he assumed he was smiling).

"Hey Tunip. Making any fish biscuits this morning?"

Tunip chittered in response. "Kelp cakes? Oh good. Looking forward to those." Tunip scurried away to meet the other Vegimals. Shellington turned and brought up the radar, absent mindedly checking it. It was blank as normal.

"Hey matey. Up for another lesson?" Shellington felt his heart sink as the orange cat bounced into view. Kwazii.

"Er..." Shellington searched for a response. Kwazii would be upset if he didn't accept.

"Well?" Kwazii waited expectantly for an answer.

There was an awkward silence. Then, just as Shellington was about to give in and say yes, there was an unexpected interruption.

"Sorry, Kwaz, but Shellington' s already having a lesson with me." Shellington turned to see the engineer smiling tersely at him, but the intention was evident. Shellington thanked her with his eyes.

"Oh. Okay matey, another time then." Kwazii walked away and Shellington sighed in relief.

"Hey." Tweak came and casually sat down the other side of Shellington.

"Hey. Thanks for, you know, getting me out of that."

"No problem." Tweak looked around before conspiratorially leaning in. "I wouldn't want him teaching me either." Her face broke out into a smile that Shellington shared.