Part 1

Buffy's first son had been born. Here she was, lying silently, exhausted in her bed and hospital gown in Sunnydale's one and only major treatment facility. Her tiny new son she held in her arms, breathing softly and deep asleep. She smiled a smile that only a mother could give and kissed her beautiful child on the top of his blonde head, pulling him closer. The young mother looked across at her child's father, the vampire William, or Spike as he was widely known, who sat opposite and who gave his girlfriend an expression of swelling pride. His deep blue eyes reminded Buffy of diamonds reflecting in the ocean and she loved it

"I..I can't believe it....I'm a mom now" this was the first time she had spoken since she went into labour and the shock of just giving birth rendered her voice shaky "We're parents...that's...amazing...well, more amazing for you..because" Spike frowned and looked down at his hands, twiddling his thumbs "because I'm a vampire? Because I'm....not meant to be a sodding dad?" He looked into Buffy's beautiful green and sorrowful eyes once again and sighed "I'm sorry pet, I didn't...didn't mean that me being a dad was a bad thing I just...this isn't supposed to happen to me.....because vampires can't....ya know" Buffy gazed down at the baby in her arms "yeah..I know....but you're a dad now, that's all that matters"

Suddenly the baby began to awaken, whimpering and sniffling, his eyes that were once closed tight had now opened up to reveal beautiful Spike-blue eyes that stared up at Buffy "hey...I'm your mommy" the baby made gurgling noises of approval but did not take his eyes off of his mother "that's right...your mommy"

Spike leaned over and met his son's gaze tickling him under the chin, earning a slight laugh "hey little bugger, I'm ya papa" Buffy studied Spike's features, from the jagged scar on his eyebrow to his long square jawline, concave cheek bones and the look of his eyes that gave the impression of a German appearance. And the blue eyes and bleached blonde hair didn't help the illusion

"He looks like you" feeling the warmth of her eyes, he turned to Buffy and smiled at her "um....he's got your eyes too and your hair" Spike shook his head and smiled like a fox "of course he's got my looks, he's half me...and no, sorry love, he's got your hair, not mine. I'm blonde yeah but not naturally. I'm a brrunette actually" his girlfriend grinned "I'd love to see you as a brunette, you know. I bet you look so handsome"
Her boyfriend winked and licked his lips "maybe someday, you will"

Soon all was silent between them as they watched their son switch his gaze from mother to father and back again. It was Spike that finally broke the silence "I love you Slayer, you and our little prince" Buffy laid her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes, breathing in his scent: cigarettes, alcohol, the distinct familiar odor of peroxide dye and a dusty smell, like a book that had not been removed from a shelf for so long "I love you too Spike. We both do. In fact, got any good ideas for names we can call him?" Spike sniffed "hmmm...I've got a few" he said, nearly half asleep. The Slayer laid her hand on her lover's chest, tracing circles "and?" What were you thinking?" He shrugged "you probably wouldn't like them but...Alex, Zacky and Storm" Buffy looked at the baby and made a funny face which made the child laugh "I suppose I have a few"
"If Angel is one of them I won't be happy" Buffy rolled her eyes "don't worry, it's not. "Okay....I've got Josh....and...and...Spike" the vampire pouted. He was adorable when he did that "Spike?....hmmm..yeah...what about the surname?"
Buffy looked confused "surname?" Spike nodded "yeah, don't really fancy naming him Pratt"
"Okay then we'll name him Summers"
"So...Spike Alex Summers, yeah?"
Buffy nodded and smiled her head still on the vampire's shoulder "yeah I like it...Spike Alex Summers"
She looked down at her son and smiled who returned the favour with a toothless smile of his own "and I think the little one does too"