Finding Herself In The Dark

Desiree Juarez woke the next morning hoping it was all a dream, that she hadn't lost the love of her life. she rolled over to fell the side of the bed where he used to sleep only to feel that it was iced cold showing that she slept all by herself in her queen-sized bed. She lays there thinking for a moment trying to get the courage to get up and face the day, knowing she would have to tell her mother and father that the wedding they were planning is now off because Evan had left her.

After her shower she calls her mother anticipating a meltdown and tears. " mom, I have something to tell you" Desiree said to her mother, " honey are you pregnant?" her mother asked. " no mommy Evan left me" "Roger!" her mother yells getting upset "yes Evelynn?" Roger yells back. " we need to cancel the wedding plans Desi and Evan split up." he father enraged yells "what?! Is my Desi ok, do I need to go to her." Desi your father wants to know if you need him to come to you?" Desi replies" no mommy I'll be ok, tell daddy all I need is him to cancel the caterer, the florist, the DJ, and the church." Roger answers" yes princess".

Hanging up with her parents, tears in her eyes she dresses for work prepared to see her the woman Evan cheated on her with. She debated calling in sick so as not to have to deal with the looks from pitying co-workers and the smug look on her face knowing that Desiree is in pain losing the man she loved so much, she looks at the clock dreading walking out the door and facing all the people who would know that her heart was breaking and she was trying to put on a brave face and push through.

When she arrived at work, Brelynn Evan's new girlfriend walks up to her and sneering said to Desiree" I am surprised you have the nerve to show your face here after yesterday, I thought you'd be too embarrassed to see me knowing your man left you for me" Desiree looks at her fighting back tears and says " He cheated on me with you and you think he'll be faithful to you? I gave him years of my life only for him to flush them for a slut like you and you think because you fuck him whenever he wants that he won't walk out on you too. I put up with his selfish behavior for four years of my life, I took care of him when he was sick, I cooked for him to have a meal after work, I made sure he came first, and you think that you can do better, and he will stay faithful. Think again because I gave that man my all and he still cheated so go ahead feel like the big woman on campus now but don't forget not long ago I was where you're standing feeling like the queen of his world".

Desiree had forgotten about everyone else in the room until she heard them clapping at her speech, but when she realized she had been being watched she rushed from the room to the women's bathroom to let go of the emotions pent up inside of her. As she balled her eyes out she hears someone open the door " Desi?" she hears her best friend Meghan call out to her. Weakly trying to control her voice she answers," yes Megs" Are you ok?" no I'm heartbroken and furious and horribly embarrassed that I just went off like that."

After her momentary meltdown Desiree returns to work to find that no one was staring at her, she looks at Meghan nodding her thanks. Bryan her other best friend walks up to her with a cup of strong coffee just the way she liked it and a double chocolate muffin. "Thanks, Bry" she whispers so as not to draw any more attention to herself. Bryan responds" No problem Hun I know how hard this all is on you and I figured you can use a little pick me up. Plus, I figured if Im going down with the calories so are you oh my goodness Bryan must you mention that infernal diet you are on again, its not like youre fat or anything so why are you trying to lose weight? I want to look hot for all the guys well be chasing now that you are single.

Bryan laughed at the shock on Desirees face when she heard what he said, knowing her heart was breaking and she didnt know how to fix it he smiled and said babes the best way to get over one is to get under another I dont know how to build myself back up without him, I put so much of me into him I dont know who I am without him. How am I supposed to go out and party? you get dressed in that cute black dress in your closet and those sparkly black heels do your hair and makeup and be ready by eight pm. Fine Bry Ill see you tonight you better have a designated driver for how drunk I plan to get. I am hoping you go home with a guy once you get that drunk, you need to get laid to forget about that asshole.